Getting my Naso to eat other foods............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I bought the 125g from member James R. (Jim) it came with some beautiful fish. One of which was a nice, big, fat naso tang. It is still nice and fat, but I would like to try and get it to eat other foods. James told me that he tried everything and all it would eat is nori. Well that's all it eats... :? It eats
(8) 1" x 8" strips a day. I have tried flake, pellet, live brine, frozen foods, pizza, all to no avail. (just kidding about the pizza)

What would you try to do?

PS. I have also soaked it all in kent garlic and still nothing.

Fatten it up with nori, and then eat it out of spite. hah. (j/k)

Rev, have you tried to see if it would eat from a turkey baster? Seemed to work better for my fish when I did that. They seemed curious at first, then saw the food. They must've said "oh man... FOOD!" and went straight for it. I'm sure my fish are more picky though, so good luck!! :D

For the time being try soaking it something like selcon and vita-chem as well as the garlic. This will help ensure a partially balanced diet. Maybe try withholding food for a few days and see if it will eat. (hey, it works on kids :wink: )

Well the thing is that it's Very Fat and healthy just eating the nori. It has been in this tank for I think over 8 months. This naso is not small. It's probably 7" long. I would just like to get it eating a varied diet......

blender mush with nori blended in it? Maybe if you blend it all up, it won't know the differnce :)

Well it wont even look at anything but nori. I have also tried my on special mush as well...thanks.

Put it in a tank by it's self and don't feed it for a week. j/k I don't know maybe flatten out your blender mush like nori and dry it in a dehydrator?

Make a blender mush of 95% nori. If it takes that then up the % of "other" until it meets an acceptable mark. Good luck! Maybe it doesn't like to eat out of the water column?

Back
Top Bottom