Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

getting rid of unwanted critters....

I was informed to soak the live rock in high salinity water (1.030 or so) for 15min or so to get rid of/"run out" any unwanted critters in the new live rock.

Is this valid solution??

Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have never done it but i have heard that should work for most hitchikers.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting....would this kill off any good bacteria (even though its being soaked for only 15min or so)??
Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

From what I've heard it's ok to do so without risking the bacteria. I've heard this trick from experienced reefers who did it years ago. Not sure if people would frown upon it now but it seems like a viable option. I had planned on doing it myself just havent bought any live rock lately.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I shall try this out then since I plan on adding acouple lbs of rock this week. I will keep my fingers crossed
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only thing i would worry about is the good hitchikers like brittle stars and good snails that could be in there?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have done it but not much came off or out of my rocks. I would do it again in a heart beat only because I have been hearing and reading post about "Gorilla Crabs" inside the rocks and coming out and killing livestock so would I not only use the high salinity but I might even let it sit out of water for several days. Only because I have other live rock that can seed the new live rock with all those good critters.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your gonna let it sit out just buy base rock.................. I don't know why you wouldn't do that.......
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDfan View Post
I was informed to soak the live rock in high salinity water (1.030 or so) for 15min or so to get rid of/"run out" any unwanted critters in the new live rock.

Is this valid solution??
I've never heard that, infact I wouldn't even consider 1.030 high salinity being the average salinity on the reefs is 1.026. Parts of the Red Sea have salinity higher than that.
You can dip the rock in freshwater and that will drive out anything hidden in the rock.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
...You can dip the rock in freshwater and that will drive out anything hidden in the rock...
I definately agree with this. I dropped an egg-sized piece of rock which had an aiptasia on it into a container of freshwater (in attempt to get rid of the aiptasia) and right away all sorts of life baled out of the rock (pods, micro-stars, a small crab, various worms, etc). I was very suprised how much life that little rock housed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com