Getting stuff from the Beach ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
We make an annual trip to Treasure Island, Fla. evry year. Thats just outside Tampa, on the gulf side. If it is leagsl, is it ok to put stuff you find at the beach in your tank? Crabs, Live Sand, ect...

If so how would you keep it, if your down their for a week and you find it on the first day?

Also how would you keep it for a 600 mile trip?

Thanks! :wink:

PS. Free Stuff IS AWESOME!

Well, i probably wouldn't do a crab. They are already wild, and they probably would love to munch on your smaller fish. Live sand, i am not as sure about. Wouldn't try it if i was you. Will have different things in it that aquarium live sand doesn't have.

Oh, and what is your aquarium temp? Isn't a Moorish Idol a coldwater fish and clownfish aren't? Did you find a temp suitable for all?

No the clowns suggested temp is 72 -78 the idol temp is 78 - 80 degrees. I keep the tank about 78. Thanks. :wink:

It's never a good idea to put stuff from the beach in your tank, especially sand, rock, etc. There are to many pollutants, ls and lr are harvested 5 miles from shore where it's cleaner :wink:

ok im looking to use the low tide sand for a base if i washed it for a few days skimming off the top water would i be ok then seed the base sand with bagged sand from my lfs?

It's illegal to collect rock, I heard sand is also illegal in FL but I don't know for sure. The rock is a for sure though.

not if youre caught just take a boat a get it like 20 lbs at a time but still. if you do get it wrap it in wet newspaper and a wet bag but dont flood the bag with water

not if youre caught just take a boat a get it like 20 lbs at a time but still. if you do get it wrap it in wet newspaper and a wet bag but dont flood the bag with water
DON'T do that it's extremely irresponsible....and I think you meant NOT caught ptang.....got alittle too excited huh?

Please do not continue to respond to Powderbluetang's obviously bad advice. I do not think anyone here advocates illegal capture or acquisition of aquatic life. The original question asked was legitimate and responded to in a proper manner, any further discussion regarding PBT's comments will be treated as troll food....meaning the thread will be locked.

Just got back online......wow... :?

In all honesty, I had no idea it was illegal. :|

It answers my question though. Thanks. :wink:

Its better to be safe then sorry. If anything check with the local game and fish, im sure they could give you a rundown on whats legal.

When I do get to the beach, not as often now that I'm inland, up in New England it seemed quite difficult to get it throught to my younger sister and my nephew that we absolutely could not take anything living from there... There was more than enough dead things around that were almost as nice, why would anyone... but I was a kid once so I was patient with them, but I made it quite clear. We were at a beach that was loaded, and I mean loaded, with sand dollars. It was easy to tell the difference between a live one and a dead one. It was a nice beach... It really disgusted me how many people were walking around collecting things... I am pretty sure Most of the people released everything before they left, but I'm also quite sure that some did not. The biggest problem is a lot of people would bring it home and it would die that day, just so they could look at it... Of course revhtree is asking a slightly different question, but from what I"ve read as far as responsibilty goes, he'd be able to care for anything he collected... but there are those legal issues as well as health and safety of the rest of the tank inhabitants... Glad you asked and listened so well... Is it just me, or is it hard to not wonder what some of us would do without this message board? Anyway... that beach I went to, I found several dead sea urchins but no live ones... I also bumped into someone that said there use to be a ton of starfish there when he was younger, but there were absolutely none there these days... I say aside from possible pollution, human harvestation/interaction probably played a big part in that problem. Man I wish I lived on the beach... It's like having the worlds largest fish tank in your own backyard, and you are one of the inhabitants... That would be soooo fun... I'm making myself really miss the ocean right now... must think of something else... :roll:

Do a google search for FL dive sites, most usually have a copy of the FL law on the removal and collection of life forms from FL waters.

Just returned from Tahiti and the Moorish Idols and Clownfish happily coexist in the same waters and water temperatures....only saw a couple of types of clown, however.

Back
Top Bottom