getting used live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jparcell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found someone who has some what was live rock but is now dead because they left it outside for about two weeks now because their tank leaked. They returned everything to the lfs but the rock. Do you think the rock is still ok to put in my tank? I'd like to put more rock in if it'll be ok without affecting the tank.

read of others who done it as long as nothing got spayed on them. will take some time for it to be alive again. how long i have no clue.

I've been reading up on this and I'm seeing I might be ok putting it in my tank since I have LR in it already to start up the dead rock. Do any of you agree with that or should I put it in a plastic container to cure it first? I have around 60 lbs of rock in the tank now.

The dead rock will have lots of dead organic matter on it and if you put to much in your DT it will cause your tank to recycle. You can put them in, just brush and hose them down, rinse in saltwater and add a few at a time over a week or so.

the dead rock will have lots of dead organic matter on it and if you put to much in your dt it will cause your tank to recycle. You can put them in, just brush and hose them down, rinse in saltwater and add a few at a time over a week or so.

^ +1.

Is your tank up and running already, or are you currently cycling it?

If you're just setting it up and working on your cycle, spray them off really well and you can put them in your tank. Like said above, you'll get a lot of die-off from them, but if you're already cycling it won't affect anything.

if your tank is already up and running, put them in a garbage can with SW, a heater and some flow and let them cure that way, then add them slowly.

yeah my tank has been going great for about seven months now. I just wasn't sure what would happen if I put this rock in. I think I'll put it in my water change tub to let it soak for a week or two and add it slowly. Now some are saying to soak it in fresh water first then add the salt a few days later is this best or should I just put it right in the saltwater?

If your goal is to cure the rock and reduce the chance of a cycle in your tank then you want it in salt water with a heater and powerhead. Do a search for how to cycle live rock because in essence that's all you are doing. The soaking with allow all the organics to decay releasing ammonia and the bacteria process will begin. When it's done (based on water readings not duration) then putting the rock immediately in your display should not cause a cycle (or not one of any consequence anyway).

If it was me, I'd powerwash it just to get whatever may have gotten on itwhile laying out in the open then cycle it in saltwater... then plop into the display.

ok I'll scrub it down then put it in saltwater. What do you think about adding a piece of shrimp to help out the cycle or is that not necessary

I'd wait and see what happens. Odds are you have enough gunk on there.

You can add it but it's gonna smell.. and if there is a lot of gunk on the rock already, it's REALLY gonna smell.

Keep an eye on the evaporation too.. treat it just like your tank..

Come on, Capt. the smell is a right of passage. It makes you stronger.LOL

That's what happens when things rot. All those dehydrated organics are going to start to rot (aka decay) and produce ammonia... and on and on...

oh ok. Yeah i'll put it in my holding tank downstairs to let it cure for sure then. I didn't know it was going to stink. Thanks for the tips everyone

Summer time... If you have a garage.. you may want to consider a plastic tub and out there.

and you don't need to do it in stages either.. if you are ready to use it all, cure it all would be my suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom