Getting Zoos to Grow on another surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdogeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,
I have a great colony of Zoo's growing on a piece of live rock. there are about 200 polyps on it and they are starting to grow off of the rock. I was just wondering how do I get them to start growing on a different piece of rock? They are actually starting to actually hang off of the piece. Can i pull a small section off and then attach it to an different piece or do I need to place another piece that I want it to grow onto close by or under the existing piece? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Get a razor blade and cut it then use super glue gel to glue it where you want it.

I just put a frag plug near them or a small piece of live rock. If you decide to cut zoas or polyps please read up and understand the dangers.

Are there any how to threads here on the site? Thanks for the help if there is that would be great.

I believe zooa's can release a toxin if cut into. I'm not sure of the details.

I have been taking my frag circles and gluing them to rocks. I have one zooa that has totally grown over and around the circle and onto the rock. :)

Thanks all. My zoas are doing the same that is why I am trying to frag them. I appreciate all the advice.

Yeah some zoas are known to have a palytoxin in their mucus from when they get tissue damage. some have more than others and some dont really have any, just be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Oh and wash your hands after, dont try to eat them, dont touch any of your "porous" membranes until you have washed your hands (you know common sense stuff :))

I'm pretty sure all zoas have palytoxin =p. I was a apprehensive until recently about getting them, but I'm hoping I can just put them on an isolated rock on the bottom of the tank and get a nice little completely covered rock. They'd smother my Sarcothelia if they spread so I'm a bit apprehensive. I read that they spread by assexual budding and can "jump" across the tank. If so, I'm probably going to go with some trumpets or blastos.

But yea to grow them on another surface just frag them. Use gloves to be safe, because if you accidently cut yourself while handling them you will get palytoxin in your blood. Wash your hands real good after you handle them, because if you rub your eyes or lick your fingers or whatever, you'll get nausea and a metallic taste if it's a small amount. It is deadly if you are allergic (humans are already oddly sensitive to it) but assuming you don't slurp it up you won't die.

Back
Top Bottom