Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gfci outlet tripped

Voided a major catastrophic event woke up and my tank was off gfci tripped why I don't know maybe a surge ?? Anyway off to depot for regular outlet if I was away this weekend all would be dead tank is at 75 degrees hope all is all right

Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Start checking components one by one. It happened to me and I realized it was the heater that cracked and broke. But I had to go power strip by power strip to isolate it. Something's adding electricity to the system.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Checked everything is fine no issues removed gfci added regular outlet cant worry about something tripping
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'd rather risk something tripping than to risk electrocution. If it tripped, there's a reason.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The whole point of GFCI is to protect your tank from electrocution.... It's your tank, but a bad idea. Something tripped it unless it's faulty. In which case you should replace with another GFCI
Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I would keep the gfci on and go through plugging everything one at a time. While doing this you need to verify all the units are running before moving on, for example verify the heater is heating. Something is not working right in order to trip the gfci and I suspect it's something intermittent like a heater.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everything is fine now electrician said gfi trip when some thing is plugged in or in plugged it think it was my tank lights turning off last night
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting turning on and off can cause a GFCI to trip due to the ballasts back feeding into the plug, pretty common issue. I keep my lights on a different circuit all together.
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema
Everything is fine now electrician said gfi trip when some thing is plugged in or in plugged it think it was my tank lights turning off last night
Bad electrician. Gfci= ground fault current interrupter. They trip when there is voltage to the ground, or when one of your electrical devices are leaking voltage and able to shock you and/or your fish. Please reconnect the gfci and figure out what the problem is.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I disagree with that KAhner not a bad electrician, he just didn't explain it to Smithcinema fully.

When you turn your light on, a current surge flows through your light circuit including your ballast transformer. Since the transformer is an inductive device, there is a slight lag between voltage and current when you switch the light on.

A GFCI outlet works by detecting any current flow imbalance between the hot and the neutral lines while checking for any ground current flow. If it detects either of these, it will trip.

What is probably happening is that the turn-on surge from the light spikes the ground line because of the voltage-current delay, causing the GFCI outlet to trip.

If its not your light doing it then you can check devices pretty easy.
To check, use an ohmeter to look for continuity between the ground prong and each of the other two prongs on the plug. There should be NO continuity between the ground prong and either of the other two. There should, of course, be continuity between the ground prong and any exposed metal parts or screws on the chassis of the appliance.

Magma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ripped

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com