GFCIs and Lighting Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please remember that working around electricity and water is dangerous. You can mitigate the risk by placing a GFCI (Ground Fault Current Interrupter) in your outlet proceeding to your fish tank equipment. It will trip if any wires or exposed electrics get wet and SAVE YOUR LIFE -- GET ONE!

Also, I am wondering how dangerous such bright aquarium lighting is as a 'fire' danger. I'll need quite a large amount for my aquarium. Any suggestions as how to go about it safely?

Thanks a bunch!

Will depend on how much of what kind of lights you are planning to get and also how you plan to set up the lighting over your tank, hood, canopy, suspended etc. these all factor in how the heat is dissapated. If hood, choice of materials will matter. You may need one or more cooling fans to aid with heat dissapation and if you use a hood in conjunction with a canopy, again, heat dissapation comes into play. In addition to safety issues, you need to also consider the impact of the lights on your water temperature. Anyway with some more design plans from you, we can give you more pointers. HTH 8)

Back
Top Bottom