Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

GFI & Grounding Devices - Are they Neccessary?

I can see the neccesity for a GFI....but how many of you use a grounding device to take voltage out of the water? Is it a really serious problem?

Old 03-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is it a really serious problem?
Yeah, it can be. If there is no stray electrical current in your tank, and no possibility that there might be in the future, then it would be unnecessary. Grounding probes are insurance for you and your fish. Stray electrical current is one of the suspected causes of HLLE if you want to keep tangs or angels, I would highly recommend one. A grounding probe can also potentially save you some pain and maybe even your life.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are powerheads and pumps prone to releasing current? Is this common? What has YOUR experience been?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Greetings.

I've always been wondering how they are used? You just put the probe in the water and the other end where would be rocommended?

TIA

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I've always been wondering how they are used? You just put the probe in the water and the other end where would be rocommended?
Just plug it in to a grounded receptacle. Only the ground is metal (at least on the one I have). The other two prongs are plastic.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
mine has a hoop on one end you mount on the outlet plate. You take the screw out of the outlet cover and put the hoop around the screw and then put it back on the outlet cover.

They are made of titanium so they dont rust.

A GFI outlet and a grounding probe are different. Both can be a wise idea on outlets that have equipment that are around water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have never had a pump or PH that "leaked" voltage into the water. Cracked heaters and lighting fixtures are usually the culprits. The lights will leak voltage through condensation giving you a unpleasant tingle. The cracked heater will just ruin your day...been there...done that...it hurts. A ground probe is definitely a good idea. Here's an extra precaution. The greatest danger with being shocked is that it will enter through one hand and exit through the other. Say you're reaching into the sump with your right hand and holding the stand with your left hand... This causes the electricity to pass right through the heart which, as you might imagine, is not a good place for it. Get in the habit of putting one hand in the water while the other is not touching anything. Sound crazy...believe it or not...it makes a difference.
Logan J
Old 03-17-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Usually the voltage we are talking about is measured in micro volts. For example we all know that PH's operate by electro magnetic currents. Its possible that by the rotation of the magnet within the PH a small magnetic field can be generated around the PH body. this magnetic field could be converted into energy if conditions are correct.

The Grounding probe will in essence drain this energy from the tank as electricty follows the point of least resistance. So its easier to go down a titanium rod to a copper wire and then into your house ground.

Of course I am no electrican or physicsist so I could be a bit off in my explanation.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, it sounds like one solution is to get a titanium heater...no glass to burst.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Excellent idea.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com