GFI & Grounding Devices - Are they Neccessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can see the neccesity for a GFI....but how many of you use a grounding device to take voltage out of the water? Is it a really serious problem?

Is it a really serious problem?
Yeah, it can be. If there is no stray electrical current in your tank, and no possibility that there might be in the future, then it would be unnecessary. Grounding probes are insurance for you and your fish. Stray electrical current is one of the suspected causes of HLLE if you want to keep tangs or angels, I would highly recommend one. A grounding probe can also potentially save you some pain and maybe even your life.

Are powerheads and pumps prone to releasing current? Is this common? What has YOUR experience been?

Greetings.

I've always been wondering how they are used? You just put the probe in the water and the other end where would be rocommended?

TIA

I've always been wondering how they are used? You just put the probe in the water and the other end where would be rocommended?

Just plug it in to a grounded receptacle. Only the ground is metal (at least on the one I have). The other two prongs are plastic.

mine has a hoop on one end you mount on the outlet plate. You take the screw out of the outlet cover and put the hoop around the screw and then put it back on the outlet cover.

They are made of titanium so they dont rust.

A GFI outlet and a grounding probe are different. Both can be a wise idea on outlets that have equipment that are around water.

I have never had a pump or PH that "leaked" voltage into the water. Cracked heaters and lighting fixtures are usually the culprits. The lights will leak voltage through condensation giving you a unpleasant tingle. The cracked heater will just ruin your day...been there...done that...it hurts. A ground probe is definitely a good idea. Here's an extra precaution. The greatest danger with being shocked is that it will enter through one hand and exit through the other. Say you're reaching into the sump with your right hand and holding the stand with your left hand... This causes the electricity to pass right through the heart which, as you might imagine, is not a good place for it. Get in the habit of putting one hand in the water while the other is not touching anything. Sound crazy...believe it or not...it makes a difference.
Logan J

Usually the voltage we are talking about is measured in micro volts. For example we all know that PH's operate by electro magnetic currents. Its possible that by the rotation of the magnet within the PH a small magnetic field can be generated around the PH body. this magnetic field could be converted into energy if conditions are correct.

The Grounding probe will in essence drain this energy from the tank as electricty follows the point of least resistance. So its easier to go down a titanium rod to a copper wire and then into your house ground.

Of course I am no electrican or physicsist so I could be a bit off in my explanation.

Not sure how that works, but I can't see an electrified heater, grounding the tank. A grounding probe is simply that, a ground, no electricity is run to it, to my knowledge.

No, I'm not saying use the heater as a ground, just as a precaution. If glass heaters have the potential to break and a titanium heater is unbreakable....one less thing to worry about. But, since there's still the powerheads to worry about...you will still need a grounding probe.

The danger is hard to quantify unless we get into some things that there really is not enough room here for.

First you can fibulate (sp?) the heart with as little as 10 mA of electrical current. Although low voltages are safer to work with all electricity can be dangerous when traveling through critical organs.

Grounding rods are a good idea and extra insurance for GFCI outlets & breakers. They will eliminate ground loops and give you a safe tank to reach into. I don't use them because all of my electrical equipment in or around my tank is run off the same GFCI breaker and the sensitivity of that device makes reaching into the tank safe. A GFCI breaker will trip when current below 10 mA (I think as low as 1/10 mA) is conducted through the ground. If I remember right the differential of current is also measured and if not within the same limits the breaker will also trip. Which means that the current delivered = the current returned through the neutral.

I have the Coralife (the first one). It's fine. I think the second one is the that fishfreek uses. Either one is fine. The first one just plugs into a grounded outlet. With the second one you need to unscrew the outlet cover plate screw, attach the ground wire and screw the cover plate screw back in. that would take about 10 seconds longer than just plugging in the first one :) , so either is a good choice.

HTH,
Cmor

We have a very active African lungfish, who managed to bust his glass heater. The next day I was wondering, why he looked funny and as I reached into the water, I got zapped really bad. Now we have a titanium heater and "Eduardo" can bang it around as much as he wants!

Back
Top Bottom