GHA out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so he was using tap water, which was the first question asked but never answered. Depending on how bad the water is, copper, etc I can see inverts not surviving. Fish jumping? I've had fish jump in what I thought were pristine conditions too...

Ya he got 3 fishs who carpet surfed, and 2 dead In that tank I think, or maybe 2 carpet surf and 3 in tank dead.

I have same water as him in my tap, we get our water from the same supplier, this summer, the TDS were <100ppm, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and undetectables nitrates. For cooper, Idk, but I can tell my freshwater shrimp are still ok, no fishes lost in thoses aquarium where I don't RODI the water.

Anyways, I think he got an RODI unit since 2-3 months, he told me things weren't going good.

So what I suggested to him by phone, is to remove rocks, brush them into old saltwater with a toothbrush or any bigger brush, put thoses rocks back to the main, scrub glasses with a razor blade (he already have one), he don't need to cut on feeding, as all his (noninvert)livestock is already dead, and to test for stray voltage.

Guys, anybody near quebec got a voltmeter, so we can test his stray voltage ? For some reasons, I'm almost sure stray voltage is the initial problem, and can't prove it.

At the beginning i was using spring water which had the following ppmsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425503381.014410.jpg
I am now using ro water for the last 3 months. I have siphoned so much sand because the algua was all over it that i have very little remaining. I think it should be a good timing to add a deepsandbed while putting the tank back together. Like vincent said
It is weird that my fish and crabs died but my peoermint shrimp survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll go in his appartement sunday, with a TDS meter to test his RO water, also I'll test his tank to see if he has some stray voltage.

I'd put money that you won't find anything going on with voltage in the tank. With the amount of algae in those pictures, this is an issue with not enough export of nutrients. And when it comes to nitrates, though not something we commonly think about, is that in high levels can be just as deadly as the ammonia and nitrites we don't want to be able to detect.

Don't know what happened to his tank... Fishs started to carpet jump, then to die, then snails dies, then amphipods, etc... The only survivors are two peppermint... Arent shrimp more sensitive to gunk than fishs ?

His algae problem started right after he lost 3 fishs, but he didn't found the dead bodies, hey got eaten, rott, transformed into nitrates... So that would explain the GHA IMO... BUt why thoses fishs died before the bloom ?

Stress, disease, old age...at this point you are guessing. But, if three fish caused such a large amount of nitrates to such a bloom it would be easy to say that they weren't right for the tank, think tang in a nano sort of deal. It takes lots of rot to lead to that. I have never gone hunting for the corpse of a fish and have never seen a noticeable change in nitrates.

Already had a shrimp in my 20g wich died, Never found the corpse, but found a lot of algeas near the spot ^.^

My tank used to be stocked but all the fishes that were in there were nano fish. 2 clowns,2 green chromis 1 midas blenny and 1 green coris wrasse. I suspect the death of my fish was due to lack of feeding. When i had all my fish, i had a little bit of cyano and green hair algua. I cut down the feeding to once per 3-4 days and i think this could have cost the fish that did not carpet surf to die. I have always performed 20% water change weekly when i had all that livestock. Now that everything is dead, i water change the same about but every 2 weeks. I have a great protein skimmer, Jns vs-1, used for 90-120 gallons reefs.

Anyhow, i think i have no
Choice but to start that tank over. Il keep you posted when i get started

I have been feeding a pretty well stocked tank with large fish twice a week for years now and they don't seem any worse off. As a matter of fact, they appear thicker and healthier than some fish I see fed daily.

I did a massive water change while siphoning the most algua possible. Cleaned my power heads and changed their poisition. I brushed all the rocks with a toothbrush which helped a lot. I flipped over some rocks which where to invested so that the algua invested part would not be facing the lights. I got a whole bunche of gunk out. Far from perfect but looks a lot better. Heres a picImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425684763.021940.jpg

Back
Top Bottom