Gha outbreak again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan p

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last year I had a pretty bad green hair algae outbreak that has since been under control. Last week I did a 50% pwc and little did I know my ro/di system wasn't doing its job and needs replacing. So I'm currently using Walmart water again until I replace the filters. In the meantime I'm looking to get a new cuc, I would like to get a lawnmower Blenny and some inverts. What inverts should I get to help rid of these pesky plants?my last cuc had me doing most of the work keeping the algae out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't look towards a cuc to clean it all up. In the end, this problem will be solved by exactly what you've already stated. Manual removal and getting your ro/di back down to 0 TDS so the nutrients get back down to 0 in your system.
Plain and simple, I use walmart distilled water in my system and I have algae. Til you are back up and running, you'll have it.

It's just less manual labor is all. Kinda like a protein skimmer. Just makes things easier

Do I have to change the membrane on my ro/di system or could I get away with just doing the sediment, carbon, and resin? Usually I do all of them but I need a couple other things that would put me over my budget

Thank god because I'm out of salt and have to many other costly things going on this week

So I've seen some people growing algae on a screen in there refugium. Will this also help it from growing in my tank or will it all die off when I get my ro/di water back. I guess I don't really understand what people grow it in the refugium for. Can I use it like I would macro algae Or is it more for feeding? Would it still grow in the dt if I just moved it to my refugium?

That is called an algae turf scrubber, ATS. It will help it some, but is not a solution to all the problems. Mine runs great but there is still algae in my display.

Will it die off or will the growth just slow down once I get my water back in check. Would it support a lawnmower Blenny or would I have to buy algae sheets

Back
Top Bottom