Giant Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon tank and am going to buy a 260 watt PC fixture. My question is are there any clams that can live in my tank with 4 watts per gallon, or do they all need way more light than I have?

A squamosa might do ok under that lighting although you may find you need to place the clam about mid level in the aquarium.

would i just need to place him on top of the rocks or would it be ok to glue one side of the shell to it?

hmmm...I think I have heard that somewhere before :)

The only thing I would add is that in my research, I have learned that squammy's like a sandbed, where maximas etc, will attach themselves to rocks. I do not know how big of an issue this would be.

I considered this...but small squamosas will attatch to the rock via byssal threads and once the gain sufficient weight the byssal threads will let go and the clam relys on it's weight to keep it in place. One thing is for sure...if the clam isn't happy on the rocks it won't stay there for long...they will jump.

If your serious about keeping clams you should purchase the book Giant Clams by Daniel Knop, Also check this site out www.clamsdirect.net. I did a review on this site. The owner Barry is very good with giving great advice on clams. And will not sell you a clam until your tank is capable of keeping clams. He also has what you see is what you get pictures of the clams. give it a try can't hurt.

PS his prices aren't bad either :mrgreen:

Thanks ems503 ill check it out! Been lookin for good info all day anyway!

Back
Top Bottom