Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-23-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Gimped shrimp

I think my peppermint shrimp and my coral banded beauty got in an altercation and to me it looks like the beauty won. I noticed that the peppermint was kind of swimming across the bottom of the tank, which he never does, he has always walked across and swam only when he goes up to chase food. Well upon closer inspection he was missing two legs from one side of his body. Do shrimp regenerate their legs? Is he going to be "physically challenged" for the rest of his life? I can just see the other shrimp laughing at him. Do beauty shrimp usually get aggressive? I have noticed him striking at some of the fish when they get to close and i even witnessed him go from one corner of the tank and straight for my foxface who was just chilling in the other corner.

Thanks guys

easyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
The pep should grow them back on the next molt......
I had a Coral banded shrimp and he was a killer..... I put in a bi-color blenny and he went right after him grabbing the new fish by the tail.. i had to poke at the shrimp with a dowel to get it to let go.... After a few weeks I saw the shrimp eating the fish. Mine would also do the same as yours try and grab fish as they swam by. I took that SOB back to the LFS as soon as I caught him.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
My CBS is not that mean but he does swipe at fish and other shrimp. They all know to stay away. When I moved my tank he lost one of his big arms. It took 2 molts to get it back to full size but he is back to normal now.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com