Glacier Water For my reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if i can use the Glacier water sold outside of almost every store for my reef tank?
I was reading their filter stages and reverse osmosis is one of them
If so do i still have to add de-chlorinator?

Thanx
And its about 30 cents a gallon i believe
But i usually get it at my LFS which is about a 25 min drive from my house

I also use glacier water. 35 cents per gallon here. I've never been able to detect any chlorine, nitrates, phosphates, or anything in it, really. It just comes out REALLY cold and needs to be warmed up first. That being said, your own RO unit will eventually save you money and give you more control.

Continued to agree. Since I switched to my own RO/DI unit I have roughly 40 gallons of water ready at any time between empty milk jugs and 3 5 gallon buckets. If there wasn't a step between my living room and kitchen, I'd have rubbermaid trashcans on wheels full for even easier PWC. Has saved me so much money in the long run.

I've heard it estimated that the per gallon cost of having your own RO unit comes out to something like 17 cents. So, if we figure a $200 RO unit, after a little over 1,000 gallons (quicker than most people would think) the RO unit has paid for itself.

I've also used Glacier water, for the past 6 years. 30 cents a gallon. I guess it's riskier than making your own, if you test it before use though, you can be sure that it's OK.
I had a small 5 stage RO, for drinking water at my previous house, depending on your source water, your main filters( membrane excluded) can bind up, and need replacement, within 5 months. It was costing me about 54 dollars every six months for new filters. Every 3 to 4 years also, you need to replace the membrane too( about 50-60 dollars). In southern Florida we pretty much have swamp water.
Because of these factors, I've just accepted that Glacier water is a little easier for me. I also don't have the initial investment of a couple hundred bucks. The one I had for the house was 500 dollars from the builder,installed.

Back
Top Bottom