Glass algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan7448

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a thin layer of algae on my glass almost everyday it's getting annoying to keep the glass clean. Is there anything I could do?

How long are you keeping the lights on for? Try cutting down the amount of light its getting and see if that helps. You can also get a pleco or some snails. Although snails can quickly get out of hand. Bristlenose plecos will stay small, about 3-4 inches. Thats what I have and theyre doing an awesome job.

cmjdjm1 said:
How long are you keeping the lights on for? Try cutting down the amount of light its getting and see if that helps. You can also get a pleco or some snails. Although snails can quickly get out of hand. Bristlenose plecos will stay small, about 3-4 inches. Thats what I have and theyre doing an awesome job.

First off, plecos are freshwater fish, an second, a bristlenose should reach about five inches. Three inches is pretty small for a regular bristlenose. Do you have a bristlenose in a saltwater tank?

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

yep, sorry bout that. didnt notice saltwater. Ive been all over the net today and not paying attention it seems. my bad

cmjdjm1 said:
yep, sorry bout that. didnt notice saltwater. Ive been all over the net today and not paying attention it seems. my bad

Okay. I'm glad it was a mistake.

happens to the best of us no worries :) but on a second note i had a fw tank once that had algae problems and a pleco cleaned the whole tank within 4 days lol

hackteck said:
happens to the best of us no worries :) but on a second note i had a fw tank once that had algae problems and a pleco cleaned the whole tank within 4 days lol

I'll start a thread with our amazing pleco experiences so that we don't take this thread off topic.

Bettababe1011 - Good idea. Im sure people would love to hear everyones thoughts on plecos.
Dan7448 - I'd still cut back on the amount of light if you can, although not sure with it being freshwater if thats a big deal

Already posted.

OP: Sorry for the off topic posts, but it's going back on topic now. I can't really help with your issue, but others will help and I wish you luck.

dan7448 said:
Bettababe my tank is saltwater I don't know what happened with the pleco thing.

It was a misunderstanding. The person who first posted about it didn't see saltwater, they had been on different websites for a while, etc. I was just trying to help get the thread back on topic for you.

Bettababe1011 said:
It was a misunderstanding. The person who first posted about it didn't see saltwater, they had been on different websites for a while, etc. I was just trying to help get the thread back on topic for you.

Thanks

Get a magfloat and clean it daily... doesn't take long. I have also heard using a magic eraser seems to keep it from growing back as quickly

Back
Top Bottom