glass anenome, what eats them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napydred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i think i have a glass anenome on my new piece of rock. I read these are a pest and to combat the infestation you should get a predator of the anenome. what are some good predators for this anenome for a ten gallon nano?

You may want to consider dropping a few dollars for a product called Joes Juice. Peppermint shrimp will eat them, but they are hard to find, getting expensive, and like to be in groups. They also grow a little large for a 10 gallon. Joes Juice will kill them 100% of the time.

Peppermint Shrimp. Don't know if he will go in a 10 gal though.

my lfs has some peppermint shrimp, may pick two up as soon as my cycle settles

IME, peppermint shrimp are hit or miss and I would go with devilshirts advice. My first peppermint shrimp did not even go near my 2 Aiptasia's. Unfortunately he died so I will never know.

My second time, my 2 current peppermints got 2 small ones but left a larger one. 1 Squirt from the Juice and it was never to be seen again. It is very easy.

I'm happy someone has brought this up again. I have had no luck with peppermint shrimp, Joes Juice or a product called "stop Aiptasia" My 75 gal tank is getting overe run with these things. Is there any other way to get rid of these things?

I have 3 pepperment shrimp: they will not go near them.

I have tried Joe's with there applicator, nothing I even tried to inject it into the Aiptasia a few would die off then 15 more would pop up.

I tried stop Aiptasia with no luck?

Is there a Fish that will eat them?

I have 75 gal with yellow tang, brown tang, mandarin gobbie, 2 clams, stony polyps, cleaner shimp, 3 pepperment shrimp, yumma ricodeas, and a million Apitasia! Please help. Tank is being over run!

TIA

Many butterflies will eat aptasia. Although my Henichous didn't seem to care for them, my next fish will be a Copperband Butterfly which is supposed to love aptasia. I also used Joe's Juice and it killed 2 aptasia within 5 minutes.

Try concentrated lemon juice too. That's how I got rid of all of mine. If they are not to big you can make them shink by touching them with something and then putting crazy glue over th staulk to cover it. I got rid of a few small ones that way too.

Snoopybdb said:
Will they get along with the tangs? Do they eat any corals that I have?

I have a Powder-Blue Tang and a Yellow Tang. The yellow was a little rough with the Heniochus at first, but now they're perfectly fine and the powder-blue couldn't care less about him. As far as the corals go, drsfostersmith.com labels the Heniochus as non reef safe and the Copperband as reef safe with caution. However, I have 3 big juicy soft corals and my Heniochus doesn't care about them at all. Maybe I'm just lucky with my Heniochus, but I think the Copperband is worth a shot as long as you keep an eye on him. They are beautiful, peaceful fish and would probably get your aptasia under control.

Back
Top Bottom