Glass broke in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truupe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all:

I was adding a Glass thermometer to my 55 gallon and while pusing the suction against the aquarium wall, the glass broke releasing small particles of glass and I guess Mercury.

I did a 20% water change in the direct area this mishap took place any advise on what to do next? Are the liquids that were released harmful to my fish?

Thanks

1 Lionfish (Volitan)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Toadstool Leather Coral
10 Mushroom coral
1 Xenia Coral
3 Turbo Snai ...

I am unaware of the Effects but I can say those glass thermometers are pretty toxic.. I stepped on one bare foot accidently and It made my leg go numb for a few days but everything was fine after that.. I would recommend running alot of GAC as well as watching the tank and doing another Waterchange in a few more days..

HTH<
James

LOL, leave it and in a couple of months take pics of the 3 headed fish and sell them ;)

Just kidding, waterchanges making sure to vacuum the bottom.

if you want to make sure it's ALL gone, empty the tank totally, and lose the sand...

In other words, you did your best...

Is the liquid in the thermometer is silvewr color or red color? Mercury is silver.

Anyway adding active carbon to your filter is the best you can do other then nuking the tank.

Btw if you intend to throw away the sand, pls check with local authority as you are now disposing 'toxic material"....

HTH

I believe that most thermometers have replaced mercury with an alcohol. Mercury is very poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom