Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Glass cleaning suggestions

Ive got all the gadgets for cleaning the inside glass on the tank but what do people use for the outside? I've heard of water, vinegar and newspaper? Does windex on the outside really matter?

sdergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you use windex be sure to get the non-ammonia one. Ammonia has a way of seeking out your water. Not sure I think it tries to get stable and turn into ammonium. But it can't at PH over 7 and will really mess up your SW tank.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As far as the inside use a mag float magnetic cleaner. I use windex on the outside but I spray it on the paper towel in another room.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Honestly I just use a paper towel or microfiber with water then dry it off with a dry clean microfiber. Works for me!
Sharkbait_Ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
For the inside I use the mag float, and a razor blade for the coraline algae. For the outside I use windex but I spray it on the paper towel far away from the aquarium. If you really want peace of mind, local fish stores sell an aquarium safe spray.
six2sevenproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
I use windex too. They make windex which is safe to use with window tint, meaning it has no ammonia in it. If you were really concerned, you could use that. I've had no issues with using the regular windex though.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Nor do I windex works great for me they have this orange all purpose cleaner that supposed to be all natural it works good and doesn't effect the tank either

Soundtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, cleaning, glass, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com