glass cover??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just bought my tank, 46 gallon bow....and purchased a glass cover but don't know if i need it...i have this lighting system on the way.......http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoluaqde.html and was wondering if the glass cover with hinges etc. is needed...will the light go through the glass?? problems with fish jumping out?? evaporation??

light gets reduced through the glass, but splashing can break bulbs. Yes, fish can get out.

2 choices are either keep it and scrape the salt off regularly to keep it clean, or use eggcrate instead.

evaporation is a problem, but it's a sign of good oxygenation (agitation, specifically) so it's overall a good thing

You do not need the covers. Most people dont use them, and neither do I. Without the covers your light penetration will be better. Also it will cut the heat down a little.

The drawbacks are more eveporation, which in a sense is good for natural gas exchange. Also your fish variety will be just a little bit limited. No jumping fish like wrasse and other's I cant think of. :wink:

Also you will have some salt spray on your lighting fixtures that you need to clean more often.

The Good out ways the :wink: bad for me.

I have the same size tank and same lights, you will be happy. I bought the riser legs with the light and cut 2 horizontal pieces of eggcrate to cover the tank. I use the black connector from the glass canopy as light shield to cut down on the glare I was getting from the lights hitting the eggcrate.

I have VHO bulbs as close as 4" from the water surface with little splashing of water getting on the bulbs.

I wouldnt sit the light on eggcrate directly as the PC bulbs will have a potental to heat up the plastic so much that it warps the eggcrate. The fixture has a thin acrylic covering the bulbs already. This is all you need for water protection.

Egg crate is what the industry uses to desribe those florecent light difusers that are composed of small 1" plastic squares. You can find it in most large home improvment stores like home depot or lowes. Its often in the lighting section but sometimes it will be stashed in other parts of the store.

I used plain old wire cutters. Took some time since I had to cut each square individually, but they work just fine.

I used a very fine hand saw to cut the eggcrate. I was able to cut it well enough to fit my bow front, it was not a fun task.

Back
Top Bottom