Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

glass cover??

i just bought my tank, 46 gallon bow....and purchased a glass cover but don't know if i need it...i have this lighting system on the way.......http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoluaqde.html and was wondering if the glass cover with hinges etc. is needed...will the light go through the glass?? problems with fish jumping out?? evaporation??

Old 10-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
light gets reduced through the glass, but splashing can break bulbs. Yes, fish can get out.

2 choices are either keep it and scrape the salt off regularly to keep it clean, or use eggcrate instead.

evaporation is a problem, but it's a sign of good oxygenation (agitation, specifically) so it's overall a good thing

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You do not need the covers. Most people dont use them, and neither do I. Without the covers your light penetration will be better. Also it will cut the heat down a little.

The drawbacks are more eveporation, which in a sense is good for natural gas exchange. Also your fish variety will be just a little bit limited. No jumping fish like wrasse and other's I cant think of.

Also you will have some salt spray on your lighting fixtures that you need to clean more often.

The Good out ways the bad for me.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Ditch the glass covers.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the same size tank and same lights, you will be happy. I bought the riser legs with the light and cut 2 horizontal pieces of eggcrate to cover the tank. I use the black connector from the glass canopy as light shield to cut down on the glare I was getting from the lights hitting the eggcrate.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have VHO bulbs as close as 4" from the water surface with little splashing of water getting on the bulbs.

I wouldnt sit the light on eggcrate directly as the PC bulbs will have a potental to heat up the plastic so much that it warps the eggcrate. The fixture has a thin acrylic covering the bulbs already. This is all you need for water protection.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

this may be a silly question, but what is egg crate? where can i purchase it

thanks
steve r
Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Egg crate is what the industry uses to desribe those florecent light difusers that are composed of small 1" plastic squares. You can find it in most large home improvment stores like home depot or lowes. Its often in the lighting section but sometimes it will be stashed in other parts of the store.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old post... but can't seem to find an answer... how do you cut the eggcrate if you don't have a dremel? Just don't want to break the whole thing

~~Rob
Old 01-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used plain old wire cutters. Took some time since I had to cut each square individually, but they work just fine.

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com