Glass Lid. Yay or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it ok to have a glass lid or is this bad for corals?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394676961.201740.jpg

It will steal a little of the lights power and will develop salt creep and need to be cleaned regularly. It also may cause a little bit of a ph swing and raise the temp a little, but no it won't harm the corals

I feel like I have plenty of power. Salt creep isn't an issue. Ph is fine....

The black strip is blocking a lot of light. I have seen hobbyists cut a large a majority of the strip and leave 2 small pieces holding the 2 halves of the glass top together.

I'm I'm ok with the black strip. More worried about the effect it has on the light coming through the glass

I had a glass top and really struggled with Ph swings. I purchased the DIY mesh screen from BRS. I love it as it keeps my wrasse and jumpers in the tank, doesn't reflect as much light as glass, and my PH has been great ever since I added it. I never measured it, but I think the glass tops reflect a lot of light.

I was sick of 2 gallons a day of evaporation.

I'm thinking about taking the black strip off entirely

Is be curious to see if the o2 co2 and nox gases are at much different levels under the glass lid then outside of it.

It is not airtight and air movement ad osmosis should make the levels somewhat equal?

I once had a friend who's cat tried to jump onto the top of his tank. 110 tall.
He had no top on it. We learned that cats don't float

I currently have a glass lid on my 20g for when I get a fire fish because I've read they are jumpers, any better options? If so where do I get them?

I currently have a glass lid on my 20g for when I get a fire fish because I've read they are jumpers, any better options? If so where do I get them?

Eggcrate at Home Depot. $14.99 for 4x2 piece then cut it based on your tank specification and hang on back filtration if any. You can do it with regular scissors.

Egg crate is a good idea. I was thinking about that

Back
Top Bottom