Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red face Glass Or Acrylic?

I am looking to buy another Aquarium. I have a 46 gallon bow already made out of Acrylic. What honestly is better? Acrylic or glass? I bought Acrylic cause I'm on the 4th floor in a apartment and scared of glass breaking lol. Is Sea Clear aquariums really that good? I just hate the pre set cutouts! Still debating if I need a skimmer with just a pair of clowns and some shrimp. I have 2 aqua clear 50's brand new laying around. Might put them both on the 46 gallon Bow. I wanta red banded Shrimp pair but I hear they eat Xenia and other shrimp. Might just get a few cleaner shrimp.... Pics coming soon!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with glass. Acrylic scratches easily meaning that you can easily ruin the look of an otherwise amazing aquarium.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo
I am looking to buy another Aquarium. I have a 46 gallon bow already made out of Acrylic. What honestly is better? Acrylic or glass? I bought Acrylic cause I'm on the 4th floor in a apartment and scared of glass breaking lol. Is Sea Clear aquariums really that good? I just hate the pre set cutouts! Still debating if I need a skimmer with just a pair of clowns and some shrimp. I have 2 aqua clear 50's brand new laying around. Might put them both on the 46 gallon Bow. I wanta red banded Shrimp pair but I hear they eat Xenia and other shrimp. Might just get a few cleaner shrimp.... Pics coming soon!
Glass is cheaper and harder making it harder to scratch. Acrylic clearer than glass giving you a much more unimpeded view, but is more expensive, and scratches easier even tho its stronger than glass.

Those are pretty much the differences. Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am with everyone else, go with glass. All of my current aquariums are glass. In the past I had a small acrylic aquarium and it scratched so easily that by the time I broke it down in looked horrible. My glass aquariums on the other hand are totally scratch free. Each side has there good points and their bad points.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

4th floor....do you have an elevator? If you are walking it up the stairs, then that might be a case for acrylic.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, I would still recommend a skimmer. The aquaclears will not remove the dissolved organics in the water. It might be ok at first, but over time those will accumulate and cause problems. You might be able to get away with it with partial water changes, but you would have to up the frequency and % of water changed which over time will cost you in salt. I think a small hob skimmer is definitely worth the investment.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher
4th floor....do you have an elevator? If you are walking it up the stairs, then that might be a case for acrylic.
This is true depending on what size tank. What size are you planning on getting. I don't think you have ever mentioned that.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
This is true depending on what size tank. What size are you planning on getting. I don't think you have ever mentioned that.
Its a 46 gallon Bowfront. I just don't want any accidents where the tank cracks.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo

Its a 46 gallon Bowfront. I just don't want any accidents where the tank cracks.
Should not have any problem with a glass 46 bowfront cracking. Not a very heavy tank, and the stresses are minimal. In my opinion your more likely to scratch a acrylic tank during transport than crack a glass tank in transport.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Should not have any problem with a glass 46 bowfront cracking. Not a very heavy tank, and the stresses are minimal. In my opinion your more likely to scratch a acrylic tank during transport than crack a glass tank in transport.
I agree with this statement. I just sold my glass 36 bowfront. Not heavy at all. I always moved mine by myself. Just be aware they are kind of a pain to clean because they are deeper and you have to get back further to see what you're doing because the bow distorts the view.

Tags
acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com