Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
what if you have pawsie kids that like to touch the tank :P or a cat that likes to jump
You put a very tall fence around it, lol.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Oh, no more mag cleaner. It's hand acrylic only algae pad from here on out.
Actually, mag float makes a model for acrylic tanks.
Mag Float-130A Magnetic Cleaner - Acrylic - Up to 125 Gal.
A credit card also works well on algae on either surface.

I like glass better. It's awful heavy though. My tank was 800 pounds empty.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice Mr X! Great lil tip
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I have a 135 acrylic that was all stuffed up from the previous owner and I just wet sanded and buffed it out. Can't really do that with glass. Also I ha r a 2yr old and let's just say acrylic can take a good hit.
i don't know if many know but you can't buff and polish glass also in the exact same way you would acrylic , a wet sanding and a buffing wheel just might take a bit longer. theone thing about glass though is you don't have to worry about the buffer not meltign and screwign up the acrylic even more
Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

I had an acrylic mag cleaner. It was the danged sand that it caught in it that did the scratching, lt takes but one grain.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

i resently started using an outlet cover i had kicking around my tank area :p it doesn't flex as much and its easier to hold, also has a longer edge
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Have had many of both. Current acrylic tank is over 20 years old. It has some scratches, but not bad. I like low lead glass, but it's heavy and expensive. I also like the fact that acrylic bonds. Glass aquariums are held together with silicone that doesn't penetrate the glass. They are glued together.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Have had many of both. Current acrylic tank is over 20 years old. It has some scratches, but not bad. I like low lead glass, but it's heavy and expensive. I also like the fact that acrylic bonds. Glass aquariums are held together with silicone that doesn't penetrate the glass. They are glued together.
acrylic bonds but its just a surface weld, and i doubt the weld is as strong as the actual cellcast piece is.

the silicone on glass bond may not penetrate but it is still a strong "gluing". silicone os extremely hard to get off of glass, you really can't pull it off it has to be cut and even then there is still some that is always stuck to it, even when you soften it with acetone. in some way i trust a silicone bond more then i trust the acrylic weld. you don't need to smooth out the surface of glass when siliconing like you have to do with acrylic to make a proper joint.

another thing i worry about with acrylic is that if its not sized properly it bows and you get stress cracks, acrylic requires thicker panelling then glass as it does tend to flex more then glass does, even though it has can deflect more and take a higher impact, i still maintain that under normal steady pressure glass can take more force. i have seen alot of videos where the bracing on acrylic tans begins to crack and where the welds of it begin to pull away from the front and back panelling where structural resins need to be used in order to bond the pieces together again. also there was an episode of Tanked where a bulkhead was tighted to much and over time the pressure caused the acrylic around it to crack and caused a leak. again they had to resin it in order to repair it.

glass is in theroy a stone after all

all this said, i'm goign to be completly honest, i like the over all structural integrity of a plywood tank much better and like the fact that they are cheaply built and you can still get a front and side view and leave the back undone
Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wow...I loved it and also use to build plywood and concrete tanks. But I found them to have weakness's like all materials have. Both glass and acrylic aquariums need to adhere to basic structural rules. Cel cast is certainly stronger than welded. (Or is it? Another discussion) And silicon seals have held up for decades. Lead free glass is deluxe but heavy and really expensive. Doing anything but flat surfaces and glass gets crazy expensive. With an exception of some factory made glass tanks that have no seams. Regular glass is too green for anything but pretty shallow tanks.
It goes on, everything is a trade off.

As to plywood, never came up with a coating that would hold up like glass or acrylic. The glass to wood seams were also sometimes a problem. But they were cheap and held water.
I bet you love old wooden sail boats?
I think Mr_X was also a fan of plywood and even concrete tanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I can only afford, I would love to have a marble tank with glass at the front.

Tags
acrylic, glass, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com