Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post

Starphire has a nice look, but maybe it tricks me since most of the people who own starphire tanks have beautiful established SPS dominant tanks. So maybe it's the corals that make the tank beautiful, not necessarily the glass.
Good point the corals do add beauty, taking attention away from any scuffs and or discoloration. However, someone mentioned above that he can't even tell the difference between his acrylic and his regular glass tank, both established. So there you have it lol. i would't know because i'm comparing my starphire to a 5 gallon glass that i use as a small quarantine. There is a difference in tint but i also believe that once the tank is beautiful and you add colors, clean the glass, and keep great water quality. It will look amazing regardless. Lighting makes a big difference too.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I picked up this 135g acrylic tank for $125. It was on Craigslist and I new I wasn't ready to set it up but I got it because I thought of was a steal. Buffed out the scratches. Here's a pic. Before and after.
Awesome work! Great deal! I look for those often but I hardly see them in my area. Usually outside the state so it makes the price not worth it. I almost did travel to Chicago for a 150 gallon once!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
I picked up this 135g acrylic tank for $125. It was on Craigslist and I new I wasn't ready to set it up but I got it because I thought of was a steal. Buffed out the scratches. Here's a pic. Before and after.
Wow that looks like a huge project! Did a good job. How long did it take?

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
That reminds me of an old local aquarium company that made a standard 975 gal glass tank. It was the only tank that was built in place. Each pane of glass took 5 guys at a minimum to move into place. Talk about weight I can definitely see the advantages today of using Acrylic for larger tanks for sure. Even if it wasn't the clearest
That's insane! For big tanks it doesn't make much sense to use glass anymore w/ the weight and higher potential to leak.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post
Good point the corals do add beauty, taking attention away from any scuffs and or discoloration. However, someone mentioned above that he can't even tell the difference between his acrylic and his regular glass tank, both established. So there you have it lol. i would't know because i'm comparing my starphire to a 5 gallon glass that i use as a small quarantine. There is a difference in tint but i also believe that once the tank is beautiful and you add colors, clean the glass, and keep great water quality. It will look amazing regardless. Lighting makes a big difference too.
Agreed. Lighting is a huge factor.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sheez... I wish I could afford more than 90% of the aquarium products i browse through daily. My wife keeps me in check and trust me when I say... Rightfully so! Lol

I too want to know how long it took to buff that tank?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Marcelo View Post
Sheez... I wish I could afford more than 90% of the aquarium products i browse through daily. My wife keeps me in check and trust me when I say... Rightfully so! Lol

I too want to know how long it took to buff that tank?
A lot of things companies sell for the reef aren't necessary, but they make them sound so important. Things are crazy expensive when most things can be DIY projects. I just saw a new product: A 6 ft LED fixture on marinedepot for over $4000! I don't see why people would go with such expensive lights unless they bathe in gold.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is true. I built my light and i use two strips, 6 white Led on each strip. Each strip is 4200k. It is good for now, What do you think? I have live rock , inverts and fish. I added a sand sifting star at the recommendation of a co worker. I was having a detritus problem...it seems contained. I put in work lol! However, I didn't do my homework and apparently the sand sifter will eventually starve if I don't do something about it. He seems to enjoy the DSB. Does this have anything to do with him eating my live sand? Are the colors i see red, green, black on the side of my sandbed cyanobacteria? I can post pictures Friday. When i get corals i was planning on buying a marineland 10k with blues and timer... The reef ready
My banana wrasse enjoys the DSB also.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I PM'ed you. Didn't want to get too off topic.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post

Wow that looks like a huge project! Did a good job. How long did it take?
It only took me like 3 hrs. Started with 800-1000-1500-2000. The inside was kinda tricky but it got done. There are still some scratches in it but when there is water in it i think it will be fine. I seem a post with someone saying algae will get in the scratch and then you will see it more.

Tags
acrylic, glass, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com