Glass tank seam irregularities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I am on the fence about getting a 5ft 120 gal perfecto tank. I will have to drill from the back so the plumbing will be totally different than my current setup. No biggee, but the tank will have to set farther off the wall.

My question is about the seams on the tank. The tank was used for FW and did fine but it looks like the front and back panes are a little long and there is a bit of over hang on the side joint. The glass edges do not come together flush. The original owner took silicone to the outside of the tank to "flush" it up I guess.

Anyone ever notice irregularities like this on manafactured tanks? Just wonder if I should be concerened about this. The inside seams look fine.

Thanks

are you sure the glass was not replaced?
could you take a picture so we could see how off it is?
Ive not seen this on any pre-manifactured tank, my own and the ones I used to stock at the store I worked at.. Not even off branded tanks.. this sounds like a DIY job to me..
Perfecto has had a pretty good build quality IME.. Ive had three of them in the past.. all the seams lined up very well and the silcone looked good and sealed (no bubbles or seperations from the glass)..

Well, it has a Perfecto sticker on it and shows a manafacturing date of 2001 with the bottom being tempered.

If you run your hand down the side of the seam it looks like the glass is about a 1/4" longer in the middle. Weird. Not sure why the previous owner decided to use silicone on the outside either. The guy selling it does not know either.

I am a bit leary but I do trust the guy selling it. Maybe I will see if he can get any history on it from the previous owner. He was planning on using it but decided to go a different route.

Back
Top Bottom