Glass top/cover = low PH??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
As i was doing a search on a unrelated topic, i came across a posting that stated that a glass top/cover on a tank + no surface water movement = low PH. Is this so?? IF so this explains my low PH (around in/around 8), which i cant seem to get up (even though i have alot of surfuce water movement). I have 2 inch gap that runs along the back of the tank for air exchange but would this be enough??

can someone please validate glass lid = low PH theory???

This is the first time I've heard this. I've only been on the saltwater game for 9 months but never heard this.

I have heard something about making sure you agitate the water to keep pH up. Not sure if that's true but I was always told when I get my pre mix from my buddy to add a power head in the 5 gallon bucket to help mix it up of anything settled and also to agitate the water to help bring pH up just incase it had dropped.

I've always tested the 5 gal before using it and it's been fine. Not sure if it's the power head or not but with all the money and time invested I'll keep using the power head.

The open top will allow for better gas exchange and therefore should help with keeping a stable ph. I run all my tanks open top except for my biocube and the ph on the tanks is usually around 8.0. If I had closed tops I bet it would be even lower. :-( It also can help with temperature as well. When i had the glass tops on my 90g the temp would reach like 86 degrees which is way too high, now without the lids it has stabilized around 79-ish, a much better temp to be at. :)

carey said:
The open top will allow for better gas exchange and therefore should help with keeping a stable ph. I run all my tanks open top except for my biocube and the ph on the tanks is usually around 8.0. If I had closed tops I bet it would be even lower. :-( It also can help with temperature as well. When i had the glass tops on my 90g the temp would reach like 86 degrees which is way too high, now without the lids it has stabilized around 79-ish, a much better temp to be at. :)

My ph is 8.0 almost 100% of the time never had an issue nothin to worry about stability is key

danbstrong said:
My ph is 8.0 almost 100% of the time never had an issue nothin to worry about stability is key

Also low alk sometimex can be an issue causing low ph

My 55 has a glass top along with a hang on filter. The filter is very strong, creating a lot of current throughout the tank. I have a corner opened on the glass top to fit the filter into. It provides enough gas exchange for me and my fish are doing just fine.

can someone please validate glass lid = low PH theory???
Yes, that can be a reason for low pH. You can get a build up of co2 in the water column which will keep the pH lower than it might be if you had no top and better gas exchange at the surface.

Interesting, I have a question. I have a BC29 Would it help if you kept the front lid open a little? I haven't had issues with pH and the tank has been running for 9 months. If it would help the tank then I would do it. Sometimes when I'm home I'll open the lid completely.

Glass lids do in fact limit gas exchange, which can result in depressed pH. Take a cup of tank water, set it outside for an hour or so and test the pH. You will see an increase. This is because with a glass top excessive build up of C02 accumulates. Fresh oxygen being constantly supplied to the tank via an open top and surface agitation will prevent this excess CO2 buildup and pH will not be depressed. This is only one factor in pH though of course, but usually its not uncommon to see a .2 increase depending on how much CO2 build up your tank is experiencing. Constant oxygen supply will stabilize pH.

If you've ever noted the change in pH, between night and day, this is attributed to oxygen and CO2 levels. At night photosynthesis stops and oxygen levels drop as well, also forcing a decrease in pH.

Glass tops are not recommended for reefs for this purpose. Also glass tops hold excess heat. If you need a top for jumping fish etc. then I highly recommend a screen top. BRS (Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply) sells materials to make these tops yourself.

DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

Mine is @/around 8.0 ever since i started the tank and has fluctuated. however I thought getting it around 8.2-8.4 is ideal??

Also low alk sometimex can be an issue causing low ph

Just got my reef kit yesterday to find out my alk its @ 12 and my cal is @ 500

Thanks every1 for chiming in. I shall take my lid off for a week and test my results for before/after #'s

TRDfan said:
Mine is @/around 8.0 ever since i started the tank and has fluctuated. however I thought getting it around 8.2-8.4 is ideal??

Just got my reef kit yesterday to find out my alk its @ 12 and my cal is @ 500

Thanks every1 for chiming in. I shall take my lid off for a week and test my results for before/after #'s

Usually 8.2 is ideal but stability is more important. 8.0 is fine as long as its holding.

With your alk at 12 im betting your tank would rise to 8.2 with good oxygen flow.

Thought i would mention another way to raise pH but it is not always possible to do. It involves running the airline from your skimmer to outside where it will draw in fresh air. This fresh air will mix with the tank water and raise the ph.

Probably the most effective way but also usually involves running an airline to an outside wall and drilling a hole.

Yes the open top along with power heads pointing towards the surface will help with PH! I have a screen cover over my tank that i got from Bulkreefsupply.com

Usually 8.2 is ideal but stability is more important. 8.0 is fine as long as its holding.

Sorry i post should have said is @ 8.0 and has NOT fluctuated

With your alk at 12 im betting your tank would rise to 8.2 with good oxygen flow.

I test the PH tonight and it has raised (the test kit color has increased) but not enough to raise it to the next Ph # on the result color chart

Thought i would mention another way to raise pH but it is not always possible to do. It involves running the airline from your skimmer to outside where it will draw in fresh air. This fresh air will mix with the tank water and raise the ph.

My hob skimmer already does this. Also the exit pipe draws abit of air (not from the skimmer/intake side) and dumps it into the tank on return

I've learned a lot in this thread. Thank you to all who posted.

Dido...Hey convict, where in NY ru from??

TRDfan said:
thats whats up. you guys have any good lfs around you??

There are a few. One in Mamaroneck, a really nice one in Greenwhich CT. There's another over the Tap Bridge.

I mainly use my buddy's place in Mamaroneck. Village Pets.

Back
Top Bottom