Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I always suggest running with an open top where there is nothing over the water. Egg crate if need be to keep the jumpers in. Dust is not much of a concern and you want to promote evaporation to a degree.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone have pics of these plastic crates?

lando, what size tank do you own?

fishfreek, why is it good to promote evaporation??

Thanks

Old 06-09-2004, 09:49 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Its not a crate. its a flat plastic sheet thats is layed out in a grid of 1" square holes. Its often used as a florecent light difuser. If you go into Lowes or Home Depot and ask where the "Egg Crate" is they should know what your talking about as its a fairly common name for the product.

Evaporation will help cool the tank as well as help oxygenate the water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

a quick google image search for "plastic egg crate" shall reveal all
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

TygGer, I have a 72 gal. Bow Front. I put in an average of about 1/2 to 1 gal every other day to combate evaporation.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
TygGer, I have a 72 gal. Bow Front. I put in an average of about 1/2 to 1 gal every other day to combate evaporation.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of evaporation.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many people have more evap. read MH lighting They use the chance to add make up water to dose kalk (Ca supplement).
Old 06-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
there is one benifite to evaporation; you are constantly putting fresh, clean water in your system.

Course I go with a glass top and very little gap between my equipment and the plastic strip that covers the back so I get no evaporation from the tank. ( i think it all comes from my skimmer.)
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had mentioned the other day that I was going to run my tank for a few days with the glass tops on. I will never do it again. The temp shot up...warm to the touch. Most of my corals closed up for several days. At first, I thought it was the lighting difference till i put my hand in the water. I lost 3 sps frags and my leather coral doesnt look good at all. I expect it to recover though. No glass tops for this boy...ever.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com