Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass top or no?

I read that a glass top for the tanks were not advised because it could increase the water temps. Wouldn't a top-less tank be more prone to evaporation and dust contamination?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #2

I say glass on FOWLR, topless on reef. Top less is more prone to evaporation, not sure if dust affects it at all.. I was thinking about that though. The light penetrates better with out glass. Egg crate is what I use.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use glass on my tank and not on my sump.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

the other factor to consider is gas exchange. You should be sure there is adequate air flow over a good amount of water surface for proper gas exchange. This is how most oxygen gets into an aquarium. Bearfans works because his sump is exposed. if you don't have a sump I would suggest going topless. I wouldn't wory about dust contamination unless you are frequently using aeresol sprays/cleaners. Also note that some bug sprays/pest bombs can DESTROY your tank if exposed.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm always topless... err .. I mean my tank.

The evaporation is a real pain but the benefits are well worth it.. my tank would boil if it wasn't open top.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was always told that topless is the way to go. For the last week I decided to try it with the top on. Keep in mind I havent had glass tops on my tank for 5-8 years, if not more. To be honest, I'm not seeing big difference. I have m/h lighting..the tank temp is about the same, but the evaporation is signifigantly less. I have lost two of my sps frags, but the tank was moved two weeks ago and the corals were in rubber maid tubs for 13 hrs. I am contributing their death to that more than the glass lids for the moment.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also keep in mind that some fish jump out of tanks if not well sealed Good luck!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was just thinking about the fish jumping factor. For those without a top, aren't you afraid of a fish jumping out?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

to prevent carpet surfing, head to your local HD and pick up a piece of "egg crate". You can probably find it in the lighting section. It is a plastic grid, usualy white. THe squares are about 1/2" so it lets plenty of light and air in, you can feed through it and it keeps your fish in as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have going topless a few months now and I must say, it has made a huge difference in my tank. My corals have never been happier. Keep in mind, I am using the Coralife CF 4 x 65 watt lighting. I think if you have MH you would get better penetration through the glass top then I got with my CF. I have not lost any fish yet due to jumping out.

Tags
glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com