Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well shoot....now I have to remove mine!! LOL! Seems
to be way more reasons to not have them. That was a waste of $60.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can always go the best of both worlds. Remove the glass top and use a canopy. Better gas exchange and pH balance without the top, and the safety of a canopy.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Myself. I cover the top and leave the sump open. Lots of gas exchange and less evaporation. If its hot out I remove the top ones.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Off, but when new fish go in the tops go on for a week or so until they are comfortable (less likely to jump).
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
Myself. I cover the top and leave the sump open. Lots of gas exchange and less evaporation. If its hot out I remove the top ones.
ahhhhh.....good call. I never thought of this sqasnatch. very good point. I suppose I can leave my lids on because I have the open fuge down below. I didn't take that info consideration when I was questioning myself why I hadn't had any PH problems with my lids on after reading this thread.

It's obivously because my 30g fuge is open......thanks for that. I really wasn't thrilled about leaving the lids off because of the massive amounts of evaporation.

In addition to that, I'm going to Belgium on Friday and I'm DREADING the fact that the someone else has to take care of my tank. I less thing I need to worry about.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
same here
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glad I can help.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

FWIW I have one tank with an open top and another with egg crate. If I wasn't worried about my flasher wrasse carpet surfing, my 75 would not have the egg crate. Another option if you have fish who like to jump is to make a screen top from a screen window kit (about $10 at a hardware store) and 1/4" screening which is available from Bulk Reef Supply for this purpose. The downside to the egg crate is it's very noticable and (IMO) unattractive. It may create a grid shadow in your tank as well. (It's not really noticable in my 75, at least to me) The up side is you can trim it to still fit pretty snuggly around any overflows, cords, or plumbing you might have. In any case, I lost two other flasher wrasses from my 37 and perhaps a royal gramma as well. When I set up my 75, I knew I wanted to have a flasher wrasse and learned the hard way from my mistake.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use glass tops on all my tanks, I don't exactly know what people are talking about trapped heat never had a problem with that. Also I've lost 3 fish to jumping when I didn't have the top on (water change)

My mom has a 125g without tips and has a canopy it looses about 3 inches of water to evaporation its ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Open topped tanks do suffer from more evaporation. My 37 averages 3 gallons per week and hits 4 in summer. My 75 is insane to the point I had to add an auto top off and 3 gallon reservoir which I fill at least twice per week.

Tags
glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com