Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
Yes, but I don't want the canopy

Let us know what the quote ends up being then!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, my tank is a DSA 105 rimless. It hasn't split at the seams yet, but it did bow when filled with water. IMO, their rimless tanks are too thin. Glass cages has a 240 wide, which is 72 x 30 x 25 tall for $1055.00 bare bones. Starphire and overflows, and stand would be extra...but they make them pretty beefy.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
BTW, this was the guy on ebay i was telling you about...here's the tank I am considering.....as soon as I hit the lottery..
96x48x24 Fish Tank Aquariums Acrylic Reef Saltwater Freshwater | eBay
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
BTW, this was the guy on ebay i was telling you about...here's the tank I am considering.....as soon as I hit the lottery..
96x48x24 Fish Tank Aquariums Acrylic Reef Saltwater Freshwater | eBay

You can't really tell how big it is until you see the two kids sitting in it and you could pry for 5 more...
Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
You can't really tell how big it is until you see the two kids sitting in it and you could pry for 5 more...
I have to rule him out. He needs a 14 week lead time. I can't wait that long.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Acrylic tends to retain heat as well so since most reef tanks tend to run hot due to lights and tons of equipment...... You may want to factor in the cost of a chiller. Pros though acrylic is easily buffed if it's scratched on the outside, it's clearer, it's stronger, it's cheaper, heat retention could be a pro or con for you just depends how much stuff you cram in it generating heat, and it looks as good as any glass tank in my opinion. Cons it scratches easier, it's heavier, and the euro bracing would be a con to you it sounds. I personally would go acrylic over glass. I have both and my acrylic has less scratches than my glass. Probably because I'm more cautious with it but either way I feel more confident in my acrylic tank than my glass with people around.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
Acrylic tends to retain heat as well so since most reef tanks tend to run hot due to lights and tons of equipment...... You may want to factor in the cost of a chiller. Pros though acrylic is easily buffed if it's scratched on the outside, it's clearer, it's stronger, it's cheaper, heat retention could be a pro or con for you just depends how much stuff you cram in it generating heat, and it looks as good as any glass tank in my opinion. Cons it scratches easier, it's heavier, and the euro bracing would be a con to you it sounds. I personally would go acrylic over glass. I have both and my acrylic has less scratches than my glass. Probably because I'm more cautious with it but either way I feel more confident in my acrylic tank than my glass with people around.
acrylic heavier than glass?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Glass Vs Acrylic?

No, for the same strength, glass is heavier.

http://www.4fishtank.com/glass_vs__acrylic.htm
Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's odd....maybe mine was just thicker than it needed to be haha. My 180 acrylic weighs significantly more than my 210 glass. Ateast 100lbs heavier but It may just be the way the foot print of the tank is.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Different manufacturers have different standards. I have seen 200 gallon acrylic tanks made with 1/2" acrylic up to 1" or more thickness. Same to some degree with glass. A sheet of glass the same thickness as a similar sheet of acrylic is heavier, but a aquarium designer may elect to use thicker acrylic than they might with glass. So the acrylic tank may end heavier in some cases.

Tags
acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com