Glass Vs Acrylic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this topic has been covered before, but what does everyone thing? I am going to have a 72x28x20 in tank built and the price difference between glass and acrylic is huge, acrylic being cheaper. My main issue is, I currently have an Elos system and the system I want from Elos would be around 8K which at this point, I can't justify.

That's my main issue, the scratching. An all glass tank in this size is $2900. In acrylic, it's $900 plus $600 shipped (with the stand) for a total of $2700 shipped (tank and stand).

900 and 600 is $1500 did you forget a 1 on front of those? If not I'd take the extra $1400 on equipment. Just my $.02

That's my main issue, the scratching. An all glass tank in this size is $2900. In acrylic, it's $900 plus $600 shipped (with the stand) for a total of $2700 shipped (tank and stand).

So, just the glass tank is $2900?
The Acrylic with the stand and shipped is $2700...
That's a really big difference when you factor in the shipping for the stand and glass...

Where are you ordering from?

That's a really big difference when you factor in the shipping for the stand and glass...

The glass tank was from coast to coast here in NJ, so I could pick that up. The tank and stand from them (all glass) was close to $6000. The acrylic tank, someone from Reef2reef who does this for a living was quoting me.

Here is the acrylic tank site:

worldclassaquariums.com

That's a good point, is the glass one being made locally?

My fault. It's $1200 for the tank, $950 for the stand and $600 for shipping.

That makes more sense :)

I was just thinking about this the other day and came up with a solution for working in the tank without scratching it.
Get some thin clear plastic or even some thin sheets of acrylic in the sizes of the display panels. Flexible plastic would be best.
Then just put it in the tank against the display panel you are working near so it acts as a barrier. ;)
I have seen some clear, flexible cutting boards for pretty cheap that would work, at least for my 30 gallon, you may need something bigger.

Plus if you have the choice, I would always go acrylic.
Aside from scratching easier, it beats glass in every other aspect, stronger, clearer, better insulated, easily drilled/modified for DIY modifications.

I just feel stupid now, back in October I spend $4k on just my Elos system, but now We bought a house and rather then have to move everything at once, I thought it would be easier to set up another new one and go bigger, then slowly add my current livestock after it had has cycled. I live in an apartment now, so I have time before I actually move in.

Yes, about an hour from me with an 8 week lead time.

Have you seen if they'll make it out of acrylic for you? I guess it really comes down to what your going to be happier with, because IMHO $200 difference isn't enough to get the one you don't really want.

Have you seen if they'll make it out of acrylic for you? I guess it really comes down to what your going to be happier with, because IMHO $200 difference isn't enough to get the one you don't really want.

It's a $1700 difference. The all glass tank (just the tank) is $2900. The acrylic is $1200. $2700 gets me the acrylic tank, black stand and shipping.

It's a $1700 difference. The all glass tank (just the tank) is $2900. The acrylic is $1200. $2700 gets me the acrylic tank, black stand and shipping.

Sounds like a no-brainer choice to me for a myriad of reasons.
Don't forget the weight difference between the two and if you would need to supply addition reinforcements for the glass tank.
Go acrylic (y)

You could build a stand for way less than $1700, but if that's not an option just go with the acrylic

You could build a stand for way less than $1700, but if that's not an option just go with the acrylic

:confused: you did see that the glass tank alone is more expensive.
why build a stand for the glass tank when the entire kit & kaboodle for acrylic is cheaper and the only real downside with acrylic is that it can scratch easier?

Given the price differences, I'm baffled as to why glass is even still being considered?

There's a misunderstanding somewhere.

Glass tank Only - $2900
Glass tank stand from same company - $2900
Local pick up

Acrylic tank - $1200
Acrylic tank stand from same company - $950
Shipping $approx. $600

My main concern, aside from acrylic easily scratching is, it would not be "rimless" as my current tank is. It will need the eurobrace.

I just don't want to feel like I'm going from a "ferrari" (my elos tank) to a VW ( Acrylic tank). Does that make sense?

Glass tank Only - $2900
Local pick up

Acrylic tank - $1200
Shipping $approx. $600

My main concern, aside from acrylic easily scratching is, it would not be "rimless" as my current tank is. It will need the eurobrace.

I just don't want to feel like I'm going from a "ferrari" (my elos tank) to a VW ( Acrylic tank). Does that make sense?

I get that, being rimless is a nice feature, functionally and aesthetically.
But also bear in mind that each silicone seam is a potential failure point, whereas acrylic seams are as strong as or stronger than the pane.
Acrylic seams/panels rarely ever fail, glass and silicone WILL fail eventually.
Another important thing to keep in mind.
If the tank is a custom built-in, will you have easy access to the top or be able to view it from the top?, if not rimless is a mute point.

Also don't be swayed by all that Euro-crap, go with functionality and longevity first.

:confused: you did see that the glass tank alone is more expensive.
why build a stand for the glass tank when the entire kit & kaboodle for acrylic is cheaper and the only real downside with acrylic is that it can scratch easier?

Given the price differences, I'm baffled as to why glass is even still being considered?

Glass tank Only - $2900

Local pick up

Acrylic tank - $1200

Shipping $approx. $600

It seemed to me like the op was hesitant on the acrylic tank (if not why make the thread) so I was giving the option that a stand can be made cheaply and easily. But it seems you already had you mind made up so......

Back
Top Bottom