Glass Vs Acrylic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seemed to me like the op was hesitant on the acrylic tank (if not why make the thread) so I was giving the option that a stand can be made cheaply and easily. But it seems you already had you mind made up so......

I think it is more about the aesthetic design more than anything, as his last post indicated.

I'm a pragmatic individual, so to me it's a no brainer when all factors are considered, sans personal taste. ;)

IMHO it seems like you have a dream tank in your head (been there) and you won't be happy unless you get that dream tank. So why not just save up the extra money you'll need and just build the tank you want?

I do and I would be happy with either provided I get it how I want it. I am somewhat on a time frame because I am moving over the summer. I do not want to lose any of my livestock and would like to have a tank set up and cycled so I can slowly start to move my livestock over before I move and not all at once.

My acrylic tank us over 20 years old. They stand up fine if you take care of them. In almost every category, except scratch resistance and clarity (when comparing to starfire), acrylic tanks are superior.

Stronger, especially seams. Pretty much shatter resistant.
Has more insulation capability.
Can be made in many different shapes.
It's lighter by far.
It can be re polished if scratched.
Easier to drill. You can work on it with regular power tools.
Easier to attach things like overflow boxes .
And it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Have you asked about how much the glass tank will weigh?
A tank that size will need 4-6 people to set up.
The same size acrylic tank could be set up with 2 people or solo if needed. ;)
I can pick up and carry my big tank, 60"x18"x18", with one hand.

Stronger, especially seams. Pretty much shatter resistant.
Has more insulation capability.
Can be made in many different shapes.
It's lighter by far.
It can be re polished if scratched.
Easier to drill. You can work on it with regular power tools.
Easier to attach things like overflow boxes .
And it's cheaper.

yup, all points I mentioned earlier.(y)

Have you asked about how much the glass tank will weigh?
A tank that size will need 4-6 people to set up.
The same size acrylic tank could be set up with 2 people or solo if needed. ;)
I can pick up and carry my big tank, 60"x18"x18", with one hand.

That a very good point. The total shipping weight of the acrylic with the stand is under 400 pounds.

Glass is nice and all, but I'm currently of the thought process that an acrylic tank being cleaned with magic erasers on a stick would be pretty nice and easy. But then again, there is a guy south of me that makes them pretty cheap and I'd just pick it up rather than have it shipped.

Get a glass cages tank...it will be a third of the price. I've ordered 3 of them so far and all were great for the money. There's also a guy on ebay that makes acrylic tanks pretty cheap. A 480 was about the price of the one you are considering, so I think it may be worth a look.

Get a glass cages tank...it will be a third of the price. I've ordered 3 of them so far and all were great for the money. There's also a guy on ebay that makes acrylic tanks pretty cheap. A 480 was about the price of the one you are considering, so I think it may be worth a look.

I don't see the size I want listed in a rimless. Do they do custom jobs?

This is what I was going to recommend. +1.

I do and I would be happy with either provided I get it how I want it. I am somewhat on a time frame because I am moving over the summer. I do not want to lose any of my livestock and would like to have a tank set up and cycled so I can slowly start to move my livestock over before I move and not all at once.

Just my own thought process here. Why would you want to set up a tank of that volume only to have to pack it all back up, worry about moving it and the fish, the water (and everything else) only to set it all back up again a few months down the road ?

Just my own thought process here. Why would you want to set up a tank of that volume only to have to pack it all back up, worry about moving it and the fish, the water (and everything else) only to set it all back up again a few months down the road ?

I'm not. The point was to set up a new tank at the new place.

Back
Top Bottom