Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Tank Construction
Glass-Non reef ready 4 22.22%
Glass - reef ready 9 50.00%
Acrylic - Non reef ready 0 0%
Acrylic - Reef Ready 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass vs Acrylic vs reef ready

Hey all,

I am planning my upgrade and I wanted to see what types of tank construction you all have.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

John, the answer to this question also depends on the amount of money you want to sink into the hobby.

You mentioned in another post about using a HOB fuge. Do you also want a sump system. Having the reef ready tank makes life much easier to incorporate a sump, but it depends if you want to keep your tank simple or not. Myself, I completely recommend a sump and fuge for all its added benefits, but this is when things start getting more expensive. If money isn't and issue, and you want a sump, go with the reef-ready.

As far as glass or acrylic... the question I would ask myself, if it were me, is... Would the extra clarity of acrylic outweigh the potential asthetics of a scratched tank.

Sure there are more differences as mentioned in the other post, but for me, that question would be the actual deciding factor.

HTH
Ryan

Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ryan,

Yeah, I am planning on using a sump for filtration purposes. I would perfer a HOB fuge that I can hang on the side of the tank, not the back. Sounds strange, but part of my love for this hobby is the whole "creating an ecosystem" expereince. I want to "display" this important part of the system, even if its just for me to look at.

I am leaning towards the reef ready tanks for ease of use with a sump, but I have yet to see a glass tank that is reef ready. Also, I was concerned about using on HOB fuge with glass. Even the smallest ones are 3gal capacity, thats at least 24# of extra weight on the tank.

Weight...With a 75G system we are talking at least 600# weight. I figured that by reducing the weight of the tank, that will ease the stress on the stand. Just some added piece of mind.

Lastly, at 75g, thats a whole lot of water in case of cracking. Acyrlic would really put my mind at ease....until I scratch it...and I am sure I will scratch it.
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

125 glass reef ready here

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All Glass Aquariums make reef ready tanks.

If you are interested in bowfront, they have those with RR plumbing too.

I wouldn't worry about the weight. If you buy a quality tank and specified stand for it, it will be built to hold the total weight.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's a link to give you some info on the All Glass reef ready tanks. I have the 90 gallon model and the set-up is super easy.
http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

After following the link, select "megaflow" on the left side. Can't link directly to the megaflow info for some reason.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have also caught the Saltwater upgrade. I currently run a 40G 36x15x16 right now and am not sure if that is good enough for a Saltwater setup (tank wise). I also run 96W lighting that I was using for plants.

I am also thinking of acrylic and was contemplating getting the 55G at 36X15X24 which would fit the same stand I currently have. I figure the weight of the tank would save on putting the stress on the stand as well (which is designed for that size foot print I imagine).

Not sure if that size is good to start with salt water or if it's better to stick with the 40G (much more shallow)

-AoiGSR
Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the suggestions. I really liked the design of the AGA tank with "Megaflow". I found a couple of AGA dealers in my area and I am going to check them out.

If anyone is in the Greater Los Angeles area and has store recomendations, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, any one else want to chime in on the poll?? What kinda tanks do all you peoples have....

Thanks
4x65w PCF

FISH

Inverts
Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is a RR acrylic mainly because of weight. Plus I have kids so I like the strength of acrylic. Never know when a baseball or bat may pay you a visit. I also have a 180 gal RR glass tank but it is in storage. No experience with it yet. My wife will not set it up for me.
Quote:
If anyone is in the Greater Los Angeles area and has store recomendations,
I know a great livestock and supply store but I can not help you with the tank.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

[/quote]Not sure if that size is good to start with salt water or if it's better to stick with the 40G (much more shallow)[quote]

AoiGSR

One thing that I have learned in the past 9 months of keeping saltwater fish is that they like to swim......thats why I want to upgrade. My 37G is 30x15x20 even with only 3 fish, the tanks seems small for my little fish. When considering size of a tank, I would suggest looking at the dimensions more than the capacity. Most of the tanks I am looking at are either 48x16x18 (60gal) or 48x18x20 (75gal) While this will mean a new stand and lights, the extra length afforded by the longer tank will be of better use.

A taller tank but with the same width and length add more water volume, but doesn't really increase the number of fish you can keep cause most of them swim near your rockwork or floor.

maybe some of the more experienced members here can agree or disagree??

4x65w PCF

FISH

Inverts

Tags
acrylic, glass, reef, reef ready

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com