Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #1
cj10488

Gloves

Ok my wife is a Nurse so When she went to work I asked her if she could bring me home some gloves as a precaution when adding my Carpet Anemone to my tank later today.. She came home with a bunch of White Powder Free Vinyl gloves.. I would think these are ok to use when handling Anemones but I am unsure and wanted to know in advance..

TIA,
James
Old 12-11-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

They should be fine.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am thinking of buying gloves to use for my tank. What should I look for? Any particular brand is safe? Just worried of any chemicals on the glove. I don't seem to be able to find a glove that is arm length.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you using gloves for your protection or the livestocks? I have always just barehanded it. I make sure that they are clean and well rinsed. I like to be able to feel the corals and anemones and such as I find their place to live. Should I be using gloves?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
cj10488

I am using them for my protection.. I am allergic to Bees and I don't want to take any chances.. Plus my cleaner shrimp like to clean my fingers and Perculas like to bite lol.. I have seen pictures of what Carpet anemones can do so I am being 100% safe as possible lol

James
Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I don't seem to be able to find a glove that is arm length.
I got this catalog in the mail and found some gloves made for aquarists. they aren't too overpriced either. sorry if im stepping on a sponser.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=ES1111

dela
Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrol gloves are the best but latex and vinyl are fine as well, unless you have ltex allergies. Just make sure to buy powder free gloves. The powder is usually just cornstarch but it still might foul up the water.

Those long dishwashing gloves are fine as well. Just rinse them off well first and use elastics to make them sealed or else you will end up with really heavy hands as they flood with water.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

coralife makes aquagloves. http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...logno=mc-glove

That may be what marine depot has too. (didn't see a pic)
Old 12-11-2003, 11:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i havent heard of any probs with using them in fact i use them all the time the reason i heard alot!! of people who had very odd bacterial infections on thier hands via reef tanks im not sure if it was from thier tanks by any means but it is a possibility and its always better to be safe then sorry. good luck
Old 12-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #10
cj10488

Worked just fine.. I was afraid the carpet was going to stick to it and climb up my arm.. Yes I am a Wimp lol.. Actually I am just highly allergic to bees and would hate to see what a carpet anemone would do to me.. I mean I have seen pictures and they don't look like they take any mercy at all.. lol

james

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com