Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gloves!

Since my lovely clownfish started biting, I've decided to get some gloves for aquarium use :p I also figured it'd be better when I'm brushing against corals etc., in case I have any residues on my hands.

I was looking at these, but the guy selling them can't confirm if they're safe for a marine environment (the materials they're made out of, etc.) and won't leech anything into the water:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Does anyone have any advice?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would think they would be fine but it will be hard to do anything with them. Too bulky in my opinion. I just use regular latex or vinyl gloves. They don't protect the arm but they do well. Wrap a rubber band around the wrist and you will keep the water out.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got the US version of those... think they're made by Coralife or Kent Marine, or someone like that. They're worthless in my opinion. As ellisz said they're too bulky and you have absolutely no sensitivity in your fingers. Might be good for moving rocks around, but that's about it.

I just use regular latex gloves. I've seen some elbow length, latex-type gloves (disposable) here...

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm

... but don't have any first hand experience with them. (No pun intended!)
Old 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have them. They're not totally worthless. I also have a pair of yellow gloves used in kitchens that work well when I need to feel what I'm touching in the tank. But for moving rocks around and picking up non sesitive items the above gloves work well.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree that those gloves are too bulky. I use regular powder free latex gloves. If you want something longer look into veterinary supplies like this or closer to home like these (click on 'Clothing/Footwear' then select 'Gloves')
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah, they do look kind of bulky, particularly for my nano which is tricky to get your hand to certain places WITHOUT gloves!

The main reason is to protect me from my clownfish's vicious bite, lol...I'm guessing normal latex gloves (elbow-length) will be thin so I'll still feel it? Yes, I know I'm soft, but you soon get tired of him drawing blood! :p
Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
asg
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I couldn't confirm that these gloves wouldn't be chemically harmful, sorry - too new and I know how valuable fish can be. They are great gloves and ideal for working in the wet, but they are relatively cumbersome (compared to latex Vets) and I understand that might be a problem. They are very protective tho
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I also use powder free disposable vinyl gloves. My clown fish is afraid of the vinyl but isn't afraid of my skin. It seems to be an effective deterrent. Now he sometimes still pecks at my hands with the vinyl gloves, but besides freaking me out, it doesn't hurt.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep it freaks me out too! As well as hurting :p

Are your vinyl gloves elbow length? If not, does he not pick at your arm?

Can you get powder-free ones from just normal stores?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Most stores or pharmacies will carry the powder free latex gloves. Those are wrist length only.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com