glueing pvc for tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long should pvc cement dry? Should piping be rinsed afterwards??

Thanks Dewey

I let it dry about 5 minutes before I start using it, and I don't rinse it, course you should probably let it dry longer and you should rinse it, LOL.

Follow the directions. Most recommend at least two hours curing time. Its almost an instant bond. I didn't rinse mine before I used it. I'm pretty sure that once the cement has melted the tubing together the chemicals basically evaporate.

Hope that helps,
John

I always use a primer on the pipe first. I glue it and let it dry for about 5 minutes...haven't ever rinsed it. Hmm...sounds familiar doesn't it :mrgreen: ? Seriously, I've been working with this stuff for 20 years. I've never let it set for more than 20 minutes and that was on a pressurized water line.

I think if its safe for us to drink out of Its safe for the fish.. I use Primer as well as the cement.. I use it about 5 mins afterwards as well..

HTH<
James

that cure time is for the residental / commerical recommended pressure of upwards 100PSI ... the 2-5 psi that an aquarium pump or 0 psi that an overflow generates is not strong enough to pop the joint before it's fully cured... just use liberal amounts of primer and glue ... it's hard to have too much, but if you don't have enough, well, troubles!

I find that after just 30 sec of contact time the two pvc sections are glued well enough to keep me from making ajustments to them. At that point I consiter them water tight.

Like gordon I never am shy about using glue. I smear a fair bit on the outside of what would be the male side of the join and as I insert it into the female side i rotate it left/right slightly to give good contact exposure.

Back
Top Bottom