Glueing Ricordia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe to super glue some ricordia mushrooms to my LR? Its not staying where i want it, but it would be a pain to try to rubberband iti wedged on of them in a crevice and its doing really nicely, so want to put the othyer right next to it be there arnt any more crevices. will glueing it damage it at all? thanks

8O
If it is not staying where you put it, it is most likely not happy where you put it.
If it were forced to stay there it would most likely fail to thrive.

I would say super glue would be noxious to you animals, not to mention to me it seems inhumane.

You can glue it, however, they have a slimy coating and they usually detach from it..The best way to propagate ricordeas is to place a rock next to them, and they spread, or, cut the cap off, devide it into 4 pieces and place them in a little tray full off crushed coral... you wil have to put them in a low low flow area...after a few weeks, they will have attached themselves to the crushed coral and you can then glue them with super glue, to the rocks without fear that they are going to blow away...

NotMuffy, Super glue or cyanoacrylate is commonly used in SW aquaria for attaching coral frags.. it is not harmful to the environment at all...

NotMuffy, Super glue or cyanoacrylate is commonly used in SW aquaria for attaching coral frags.. it is not harmful to the environment at all...

LOL, I should own stock in a superglue company with as much of it as ive used in my aquariums.

Another possibly is a rubber band. I use this method often - you want to wrap the band down the center of the mouth, it needs to be snug (so it won't escape), but not tight enough to cut through it.
With any luck, it will not only attach, but divide into two.

HTH!

WEll -- you learn something new everyday. The smell of superglue makes ME want to gag, I just couldn't ever fathom the idea of using it in an aquarium. Who knew? 8O

I tried the super glue, but the next day he just detached himself again. thi didnt think that slime coating was that strong. i guess ill just bear down and rubber band it. hopeful i can pull the rock out without others falling. How long should i leave it rubber banded? that would be sweet if splits. if it does, will the two pieces stay attached? or will they try to move away from each other? thanks for your help.

BTW, i find that super glue gel works way better than the 2 part epoxy stuff. just thought id throw that out there.

i find that super glue gel works way better than the 2 part epoxy stuff. just thought id throw that out there.

I think it depends on what your trying to secure. Both have their uses, one better for certain uses than the other. I have actually found that a combo of the two (SGG>epoxy>SGG) sandwich is very effective for some uses.

hmmm never thought of that. that would allow the epoxy to be glued in place and allow it to harden without having to hold it for an hour, which is really why i dont like to use it. very interesting. thanks for the tip.

anyone know about the rubber band thing? ^

anyone know about the rubber band thing? ^

Anything that will hold a soft coral in place long enough for it to attach will work, provided it is safe to be in the aquarium and doesn't crush the coral. Another method that steve-s has posted about, is to cut the top and bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and stick one end into the sand bed. Place rubble all along the inside ot the bottle and place them in there. This will keep them from being blown around and give the a chance to attatch on their own.

Back
Top Bottom