glueing shrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a mushroom rock that has become overgrown and I understand how to cut them and place them on seperate smaller rocks. My question is can you cut a smaller one in half and glue it to the glass on the back of your tank? Will it be o.k. if I do it at the same level they are at now? And last question does super glue gel work under water?

My question is can you cut a smaller one in half and glue it to the glass on the back of your tank? Will it be o.k. if I do it at the same level they are at now?

Yes, but I wouldn't expect it to stay. Let the shroom recover first, then glue it, it's gonna slime something terrible. I've never tried to glue shrooms, so have no personal exp on how it holds, but my guess is it wouldn't work well...

And last question does super glue gel work under water?

Absolutely, I use it underwater all the time. Takes a while to set up, but usually gives a bond that is good enough until the coral encrusts.

If the shroom is to slimy to glue then you can use some large nit mesh and place over the shroom so that it is held aganst the rock lightly. Over a weeks time it will attach to the rock and then you can pull the mesh out.

i tried to keep a ricordea on a rock with a piece of a plastic mesh bag like they sell fruit in, but it squeezed out through one of the meshes and settled right next to where it was! guess it felt confined...

I tried glueing ricordea as well. it fell off the rock the next day. then i tried to rubber band it. i thought it had started to split, but it ended up just falling off again. i havnt seen it since. i would use the garf method and put it in a dish of rubble with wedding weil over it. this way they will attach to the rubble and you can glue or shove it in a hole somewhere.

Well the concept is to have it loosely held down. If it squezed out of the mesh then it sounds like that mesh was to tight.

You can also go to the local hobby/craft store and get some white undyed veil material. It has a much smaller gap mesh and as fishfreek suggested, leave it a bit looser around the coral being fragged.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom