Gluing frags help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lstimpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been using instant ocean epoxy to glue a couple of lps frags in my tank. I think I went a little overboard, I was worried about them shifting. How much epoxy is enough to secure a 1 1/2" frag? Can I remove them and try again? How long will it take for the ones that I over-glued to color-up? It's not terrible, but it clashes.

You can use most any superglue. It's easier if you can remove the rock, glue it, hold it and then submerge to cure it.

I stopped with the epoxy. The superglue is easier and cheaper.

Gel is easier to work with, There's no danger to your tank. I use it all the time .

Use only 100% cyanoacrylate glue. If it isn't 100% on the bottle, it has stuff in it other than the glue that can leach into your water. As was stated above, gel is much easier to work with. I have lots of the liquid, and have used it effectively, but have had many accidents which have coated my fingers in glue.

A side note for future accidents, nail polish remover will get it off your hands without tearing your fingers apart.

Thanks y'all, my epoxy experiment is over. No harm done except for a blindingly ugly white area around two frags. Lesson learned, let the coralline begin☺️

Gel cyanocrylate glues are the best for gluing frags. I mean gel because liquid spreads everywhere. It's easier to work with Gel.

Superglue, Krazy glue, and other brands are good glues.

Just make sure to be generous with the superglue. I thought a little would do that job and wondered why I stood there holding a coral against a rock for 10 minutes :p

So I took (one of) the rocks that I glued excessively (understatement) out, shimmied the frag off, then hammered on said rock until all the epoxy was gone. Then I noticed I broke the rock in a large, important area. I then heroically grabbed the Locktite gel glue and put it back together. So proud!

Back
Top Bottom