Gobies and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclebob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a gobie that will sift the sand in my tank, but I also like the symbiotic relationship that the pistol shrimp and certain gobies have. Any suggestions to what gobie/ shrimp selection I should make?

I have a ten gallon tank, with a GSP, Xenia , and candy cane neon frag. Two hermits and one small shrimp. One small striped star and an uninvited crab.

Thanks for the help.

Bobby.

Attachments

• image-3604654904.jpg
    image-3604654904.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3884642409.jpg
    image-3884642409.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image-819977499.jpg
    image-819977499.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2895081948.jpg
    image-2895081948.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 100
Hi Bob and welcome to AA!

You can take a look at the gobies on liveaquaria and look for a shrimp goby and/or watchman goby in the description. Tbh, i'm not sure if any pairing shrimp gobies will be ok in a 10g nano tank. The clown gobies will be ok in a small tank, but don't pair well i believe.

Ok thanks for the advice, what about a jawfish in my tank ? Or is it too small ? I just like the constant activity of these. Or will they cause damage to foundation of live rock.

Thanks again, I'm gonna visit my local store Tomorrow and see if I can find a gobie or jawfish.

AquaRick said:
Hi Bob and welcome to AA!

Tbh, i'm not sure if any pairing shrimp gobies will be ok in a 10g nano tank. The clown gobies will be ok in a small tank, but don't pair well i believe.

Smaller shrimp gobys paired up with a pistol are perfect for small tanks IMO. usually they just sit in front of their den and protect it. They dont move much, but the relationship is really cool. The perfect 10g fish i think.

True, clown gobies wont pair up.

I also wouldnt suggest a jawfish. Youll need at least a 5-6" sandbed for one, and by the time that need is satisfied, your really only have 5-6 gallons of water with rock!

Don't get a sand sifting goby. They will displace too much sand in a 10. Get a shrimp goby pair. I have had a pair in a 3 gal for 7 months now and they are doing great.

ChicagoReefer said:
Don't get a sand sifting goby. They will displace too much sand in a 10. Get a shrimp goby pair. I have had a pair in a 3 gal for 7 months now and they are doing great.

Not just the displacement though, the sand isnt mature enough for one, and there just flat-out isnt enough sand in a 10g footprint

If you do get one all that coral on the bottem needs to go up a few inches. I think I have a banded high fin watchman and a tiger pistol. I got the tiger a few weeks before the watchman and they paired up rite away. I started with a 30 gal and now there in a 55. But I think a 10 would work. I spot feed mine when Im doin the coral. Ive had them a good year so I think I'm doing something rite. Ohh and I wouldn't recommend one if your tank is in your room the snap from a pistol shrimp is alot louder then you might think.

Gboy66 said:
Not just the displacement though, the sand isnt mature enough for one, and there just flat-out isnt enough sand in a 10g footprint

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom