Gobies/Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
All,
Please disreguard my current fish, I will be removing most of or all of my damsels, a little at a time...
My question is...
1. If I get a "shrimp" goby (like a yellow watchman Cryptocentrus cinctus) and a pistol shrimp, add them to my tank and they hook up (this part really is leading up to the next real question).
2. If I add another species Hi Fin Red Banded Goby
(Stonogobiops nematodes) and another pistol shrimp, will they work together like the 1st two, or would something like this cause problems?
I have a 55G FOWLR tank with about 60LBs of LR and will have about a 3 inc substrate of sand with a small amount of CC.

PS. in scientific nomenclature, what are the 1st two genus/species? It's been a while since Biology.

roka64,
Just speaking from personal experience, I have a japanese pistol and a watchman in my 55g tank. My pistol shrimp pretty much dominates the bottom of my tank with tunnels and caves dug everywhere. They get a fair size and I'm not sure a 55 will be big enough to give two enough territory. JMO

Usually gobies don't get along with other gobies, unless they're a mated pair. You'd need a fairly large tank to pull that off.

I agree with Fluff about tank size. Your best bet to get a shrimp goby and pistol that are already paired at the LFS. I have a yellow watchman/pistol pair and it is an amazing relationship to observe.

Cool, thanks so much! I will only attempt one pair. I'm shopping now, to see what I can add. I still have a few things to do before I return or give away my damsels.

Thanks again for the advice! I'll probably go with either a yellow watchman or a hi-fin red-banded goby. Decisions, decisions...sigh...

Hmmmm, my LFS doesn't have them, and would charge me an arm and a leg. I was thinking about ordering online. Would they know to ship them paired or should I call in the order and talk to a person...The resaon I am asking is, I have never ordered online...at least not livestock..

Hard to say. My guess is that they have not paired up at the distributor. You can rder both on line and hope they find each other in your tank...mine did in no time at all.

Cool thanks! I have maybe another month and I'll be ready. Thanks again all for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom