Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too would warn against a nem. I had a condy one and he ended up taking up the entire left side of my tank. I also endlessly worried about him eating my fish. In my opinion, probably best to leave to the oceans unless you have a really large tank or get a tiny one.

I had a BTA, and I did get the tiniest one at the store, it was about the size of my fist when it expanded. It doubled in size within two weeks and just kept getting larger.

Well I reserved a diamond goby down at my LFS. I'm picking him up next week

Good deal, hope you will be happy with him. Let us know how it goes! I am picking up 2 clownfish Monday I hope

My favorite bottom fish is the diamond goby. I don't name my fish, but he would be the first one I would name. He is out all the time, panning for gold.

Yeah the one I'm getting is very mobile and always picking up sand

mine is named cerviche, my two clownfish will be sushi and sashimi. My only advice or warning is be prepared to possibly have a cloudy tank for a few days due to the sand kick up.

It has been so much fun watching his burrow and and deal with my hermit crabs, they do have a lot of personality. What all are you hoping to add later down the road?

Well I'm hoping to make a mated pair of diamond gobies, but I have absolutely no idea how to do that, or if it's possible

I got an sebae anemone. I appreciate the warnings, but I think that its worth a shot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but the sebae anemone is actually one of the hardest to keep alive. What color is yours? They should be a brown/tan color if healthy. Many suppliers will bleach and/or dye this anemone to make it look nicer, if this is the case it will be even harder to keep alive and usually die within 6 months.

My brother brought home a yellow dyed one about 4 weeks ago, the LFS offered to take it back since he didn't know it was dyed but we have decided to try to care for it. I have a thread about it.

Mine is brownish tan and I asked the guy at the store. How long are they supposed to live?

Mine is brownish tan and I asked the guy at the store. How long are they supposed to live?

Thats good! You have a clown as well right? Having a clown host them is good for their survival. It will still be very hard to keep this anemone alive but it will be easier since it is a healthy specimen. I do not know the average lifespan of a healthy sebae in an aquarium sorry, I just know that even some experts have a hard time keeping them alive longer than 2 years.

Another bad thing about it is that this is a very large anemone, they get huge! I think you might be better off returning it and getting something easier like the rose bubble tip anemone.

Do you have a picture of your new purchase?? I'd love to see it!

I have a tomato clownfish, and as of now, he's not too interested in the anemone. How long does it normally take for a clown to notice an anemone

It will take a little while, there is no guarantee that it will host the anemone though.

and yes the BTA also get large, the sebae are even larger than the BTA though. The BTA usually splits when it gets very large as well so you could take one half back to the LFS.

Did you get the anemone specifically for the clown to host it? If not you could look into getting the flower/rock anemone, they stay small and tend not to move a lot so it would be a better choice for a nano. Another option would be the mini maxi carpet anemone, they come in a variety of colors and also stay small and don't move around a lot.

I couldn't find any local rock anemones and the carpets can tend to eat their host

Well yesterday, when I bought my nem, he wouldn't attach to the rock so I put him in a little crate that I made. This morning he attached right away to the rock. I think he just needed to acclimate to his new environment and relax a bit.

That's good to hear.

The mini maxi carpets actually have less of a sting so they shouldn't eat fish, they are not known to host clowns though. The sexy shrimp or porcelain crab love to host the mini maxis.

Back
Top Bottom