Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got an sebae anemone. I appreciate the warnings, but I think that its worth a shot.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but the sebae anemone is actually one of the hardest to keep alive. What color is yours? They should be a brown/tan color if healthy. Many suppliers will bleach and/or dye this anemone to make it look nicer, if this is the case it will be even harder to keep alive and usually die within 6 months.

My brother brought home a yellow dyed one about 4 weeks ago, the LFS offered to take it back since he didn't know it was dyed but we have decided to try to care for it. I have a thread about it.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine is brownish tan and I asked the guy at the store. How long are they supposed to live?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuA c View Post
Mine is brownish tan and I asked the guy at the store. How long are they supposed to live?
Thats good! You have a clown as well right? Having a clown host them is good for their survival. It will still be very hard to keep this anemone alive but it will be easier since it is a healthy specimen. I do not know the average lifespan of a healthy sebae in an aquarium sorry, I just know that even some experts have a hard time keeping them alive longer than 2 years.

Another bad thing about it is that this is a very large anemone, they get huge! I think you might be better off returning it and getting something easier like the rose bubble tip anemone.

Do you have a picture of your new purchase?? I'd love to see it!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

But don't the BTA get huge also
Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a tomato clownfish, and as of now, he's not too interested in the anemone. How long does it normally take for a clown to notice an anemone
Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will take a little while, there is no guarantee that it will host the anemone though.

and yes the BTA also get large, the sebae are even larger than the BTA though. The BTA usually splits when it gets very large as well so you could take one half back to the LFS.

Did you get the anemone specifically for the clown to host it? If not you could look into getting the flower/rock anemone, they stay small and tend not to move a lot so it would be a better choice for a nano. Another option would be the mini maxi carpet anemone, they come in a variety of colors and also stay small and don't move around a lot.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

I couldn't find any local rock anemones and the carpets can tend to eat their host
Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well yesterday, when I bought my nem, he wouldn't attach to the rock so I put him in a little crate that I made. This morning he attached right away to the rock. I think he just needed to acclimate to his new environment and relax a bit.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's good to hear.

The mini maxi carpets actually have less of a sting so they shouldn't eat fish, they are not known to host clowns though. The sexy shrimp or porcelain crab love to host the mini maxis.

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com