Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike-words

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I add a goby to my tank? Current stock is 1 powder blue tang, 1 foxface, 1 cleaner wrase, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 Peppermint shrimp. Tank is 185gal 400lb LR and DSB. Ideas for a goby(s) welcome.

If you have sand the diamond sandsifting goby is awesome, keeps the sand very clean. Some peoples go crazy and make huge hills everywhere though, mine was great :)

Also blennys are great peaceful fish, awesome swimming pattern. (midas blenny is my fav)

They are okay, I have one and it used to share a hole with my diamond goby before he died. I like him but I don't like how he only stays in his one hole, he doesn't venture very far out and doesn't sift the sand very well at all. He is pretty cute peeking out all the time though with that frown on his face.

I wouldn't get any of those gobys (hi fin red banded), specially with the fish you have. They are very tiny and would just get lost in your big tank, not to mention they would constantly be hiding from the larger fish.

I got one for my 28 gallon nano once with a pistol shrimp, the shrimp disappeared right away and the goby lasted about a month. It was eating but always very scared of the larger gobys I had. It eventually disappeared too.

I could recommend a ton of gobys

Diamond sandsifting goby - great sand sifter
watchman goby- cute but hides in his hole
clown goby- green, yellow, or black - perch on the rocks a lot
orange stripe prawn goby - never had but looks cool

The list goes on, just look on these two sites for ideas:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+31&s=ts&count=24&start=1&page_num=1
Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

The second site also lists blennys jawfish and dragonettes. (dragonettes are very hard to care for usually)

I would stay away from any of the tiny gobys, the ones less than two inches since they hide alot and usually just get lost in a large tank with large fish. The clown gobys might do fine since they aren't hiders and have more of a round body.

My pair of neon gobies where out front all the time in a 155g with 3 tangs, pair of clowns and many others. They would also clean those others from time to time since they are considered cleaning gobies.

My pair of neon gobies where out front all the time in a 155g with 3 tangs, pair of clowns and many others. They would also clean those others from time to time since they are considered cleaning gobies.

Yah I was just reading about them being cleaners actually, very interesting!

I have a blue spot watchman. He does have a hole but he comes out to feed and will eat out of my hand if I make the effort to put it anywhere down close to him. I also second the Midas blenny. Mine is great.

Back
Top Bottom