Goby and blennies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some gobies and blennies I could put in my 80 gallon reef tank
Is a poison fang goby and a scooter blennie fine? How about a fire fish? Thanks in advance

Scooter dragonets can be tricky to feed as they eat pods usually. I got mine weaned onto frozen food over the course of a few months. I happen to have a fangtooth blenny as well and he doesnt bother any of my gobies or other blennies. I do however take extreme caution when I'm in the tank as I don't wanna get bit. lol

Fanged gobies are some of my favorites. I especially like the bright yellow canary or the blueish/yellowish forktail. On the non-fanged, I like the midas or the black sailfin.

Look at the watchmans and think about maybe a pistol shrimp with it. Firefish like to jump.

carey said:
Scooter dragonets can be tricky to feed as they eat pods usually. I got mine weaned onto frozen food over the course of a few months. I happen to have a fangtooth blenny as well and he doesnt bother any of my gobies or other blennies. I do however take extreme caution when I'm in the tank as I don't wanna get bit. lol

So wait a scooter is like a mandarine and mainly eats pods unless trained to eat frozen?

Yes a scooter will mainly eat pods, make sure you have a cover over your tank if you want gobys, trust me I have had 2 go carpet surfing. 1st was a diamond goby and the other just yesterday my fire fish jumped out of my tank an landed on my computer desk about 3 feet away. Get this I even have egg crate over the tank. They jumped out of holes where I cut for the overflow and return line

i was going to get a black sailfin blenny, i like them alot more then lawnmowers, but i went with a bi colored and hes a great little fish, nice colors and hes great at grazing algae. and the nice thing is he will eat mysis so if algae gets low he won't starve.

i'll post a pic of him when i get home

I have a canary blenny and a starry eyed lawnmower blenny together. Of course they look nothing alike.

What about the pink spotted goby is he a good reef fish?

On the gobies. I forgot about some of my favorite smaller and schooling favorites. The Cleaner goby and the scissortail gobies. The scissor tails school nicely. The cleaners would actually clean my wrist and fish from time to time. They'd ride the fish for a couple of seconds.

Must get a mated pair for the cleaners, and they take up virtually no bioload. I got three - 2 blues and a yellow and got lucky as both colors paired. Makes no diff on the scissor tails on the sex. 3 -5 could do nicely.

Attachments

• feb09 cleaner gobies.jpg
    feb09 cleaner gobies.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Feb09 dart gobies.jpg
    Feb09 dart gobies.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom