Goby troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

One of my fav fishes is the goby. For some reason I cannot seem to sustain these quality cleaners.

I've tried blue cheeks and spotted both large and small and have not succeed.

Has anyone got any good advice on these guys.

Tank is good and all prams are fine I have algae blenny 3 chromis and a maroon clown along with lots of corals cleaner shrimp and a blue legged hermit and emerald crab.

I have started to add Copepods to try and get a culture going before trying again. Sand Bed is about 2" and without this fella plenty of stuff to eat

Any suggestions please??

Andi

Depending how old your tank is, it might not be matured enough. Cope pods are needed and other related organisms.

hi, my faverite marine fish is also the goby, more specifcally the butterfly goby, i have two of these gobys in a 20 gallon tank they are living with 2 clowns 2 shrimp and mixtures of turbo snails and hermits, ive had my gobys for about 1 year now and i have had no trouble with them at all, i reccomend butterfly gobys as they are quite hardy, salt level is really important, my level is 1.023, it also has to be stable as well as your ammonia and your other levels, they need lots of live rock for grazing and hiding in, my fish have 3 light settings sunlight moonlight and twilight, this is good for the fish and for growing corals, what do you feed your gobys? mine are feed small pieces of frozen mysis shrimp 3 times a day, the water has to be clean, wave machines are very important to put oxygen inside the tank that helps the fish to, good luck with your gobys! this is just personal expeirance, hope this helps in some way :thanks:

Are you talking about mandarin dragonets? They are referred to as gobuies but aren't actually. lol

I've had great luck with my regular gobies, just need good water and a non hostile enviroment pretty much. I also have 2 dragonets which are a handful let me tell you! hehe....

let us know what fish exactly you are having trouble with and we will try to help!

It sounds to me as though he means mandarins. They are not easy from what i hear from everyone. I love to look at hem at my lfs, but i am not into having to spend so much time and money on copepods, training to eat and all that. I like simple. Pretty to look at and easy to care for is my game! Maybe someday ill venture no this a little more but i only started my first fowlr about 4 months ago. So im rambling, but i would say you dont have enough of a food source built up for the lil buggers!

If it is a mandarin then I agree on the food being the issue. Took me about a month each to train my dragonets onto frozen food. It requires multiple feedings a day, shutting off the water flow and target feeding. I had to try about 15 different foods to get them to eat but I was lucky and they made it. I started with tiny frozen food like cyclopeeze and worked my way into brine and mysis. They both particularly like bloodworms too.
I also had a fuge and a zillion pods in the tank while I was training them so they had something to eat while we went along. If there hadnt been so many pods I have no doubt they wouldnt have made it.

Is this the fish in question?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Green Mandarin

carey said:
If it is a mandarin then I agree on the food being the issue. Took me about a month each to train my dragonets onto frozen food. It requires multiple feedings a day, shutting off the water flow and target feeding. I had to try about 15 different foods to get them to eat but I was lucky and they made it. I started with tiny frozen food like cyclopeeze and worked my way into brine and mysis. They both particularly like bloodworms too.
I also had a fuge and a zillion pods in the tank while I was training them so they had something to eat while we went along. If there hadnt been so many pods I have no doubt they wouldnt have made it.

Is this the fish in question?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Green Mandarin

I just seeded my fuge with pods one time bought from reefs 2 go think i got 500 and 500 free 2 years ago i house a mated pair of green mandarin in a 55g 60lbs lr pods are plentiful the mandarins bellies are nice and round i have seen them eat frozen shrimp only a couple times all it takes for mandarin is fuge and lots lr so pods have plenty room to multiply my experience

Hi all,

My params are fine. Tank has been set up for over 7 months

I have tried blue cheek and a red spotted. All with no luck

My chromis seem to be bullying.

I feed mysis, krill, lobster eggs, marine mix, blood worm. All frozen and all alternatively (not all at the same time lol)

I haven't got a wave machine bit my water flow is correct for 200l

I have recently started putting pods in to see if I can start a culture.

carey said:
Are you talking about mandarin dragonets? They are referred to as gobuies but aren't actually. lol

I've had great luck with my regular gobies, just need good water and a non hostile enviroment pretty much. I also have 2 dragonets which are a handful let me tell you! hehe....

let us know what fish exactly you are having trouble with and we will try to help!

Hi Carey,

No I haven't quite ventured into dragonets yet lol. Very hard to get to eat frozen foods!!!

My chromis maybe bullying. I've tried smaller Goby's and larger

Have you tried a yellow headed sleeper goby yet I think they would be a good fit for your tank personally. They do not to have pods to make it, so that is good for your case. They are also to big for the chromis to bully them around so I personally think they are a perffict fit for your tank.

Your welcome but you have to know they love to sift the sand a lot. Witch I hop isn't a problem for your tank.

Reefer 22 said:
Your welcome but you have to know they love to sift the sand a lot. Witch I hop isn't a problem for your tank.

Lol. I love the way they just constantly Hoover the sand bed up. After all it saves me a job.

I put the rocks in first then the sand bed so no worries with shifting rocks.

O cool I highly recommend it to your tank in that case. Not that expensive ether they are usually about 20 in my lfs. But you can usually find them in any lfs near me. So I don't think it can be vary different by you.

Reefer 22 said:
O cool I highly recommend it to your tank in that case. Not that expensive ether they are usually about 20 in my lfs. But you can usually find them in any lfs near me. So I don't think it can be vary different by you.

Yea same here about 20 but I've had three over 6 months lol

I've just searched golden head and it's a blue cheek I mentioned earlier!!! Lol.

Love them.

Back
Top Bottom