Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Goby successes can vary. If you don't have well established tank and the fish is picky and won't eat frozen or flake food it will starve. It sifts the sand looking for food and scraps. If the sand is too new or too clean then the goby will have a hard time finding food. IMO

Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hello mike469 I'm new to this site but I've been keeping reef's for about 5 years now you were wondering about putting a goby in a new tank.I would say that if your current tank is established when you upgrade use as much water and rocks as possible in your new tank. the idea is to build your bacterial colonies to establish your new tank.with enough old in the new and maybe a week or two you should be fine. but watch those gobies, I've had a bunch jump out of the tank on me

Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #13

I decided I may just want to wait until I upgrade for these little guys. I am now thinking about a six line wrasse. I probably have to start another thread for that one!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hmm. I will have to think about this. That sounds awesome Lando but I feel like I am pushing the stocking limits as it is because of the Reef.
I do not think it will be an issue Mike. With 50lbs of LR, I would say four small fish are just fine, provided your NO3 readings are okay now. As mentioned, inverts do not really count toward your bioload. Like I said, the shrimp goby/pistol shrimp relationship is amazing. IMHO, it rivals the relationship of the anemone and clown. Pistol shrimp are phenomenal diggers, they use their large claw and bull-doze out the sand from under the rocks. However, they have very poor eye-sight. They dig a hole and share it with the goby. In return the goby protects the shrimp and their den. Whenever the pistol is out of the den it keeps one antenna on the goby at all times. If it can not feel the goby it shoots back into the hole like a lighting strike. Very Cool. I have some very poor pics of my pair in my gallery if you are interested.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
the shrimp goby/pistol shrimp relationship is amazing. IMHO, it rivals the relationship of the anemone and clown.
Just two weeks ago I bought a tiger pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby. This is the most amazing duo I can imagine in any aquarium! The bulldozer never stops, and the watchman is so, well, watchful!! I HIGHLY recommend this pair for your set-up. As said above, the shrimp doesn't count for bioload, and the yellow watchman is very small compared to most fishies!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I've had several gobies in my 20 gallon long, if I recall all of them jumped to their doom. I think 2 of them made it through the eggcrate I have over the tank. I've since given up on gobies even though I'd love to get another one.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

What I did was wait until my tank had been set up with LR and sand for about a month, then i put in my cleanup crew for a week or so. I then added a damsel and a yellow watchman goby. both have flourished. The watchman is very cool! I recently (after the goby was in for a couple of weeks) added a bi-colored blenny to the tank as well, and for about a day they were very uneasy with eachother, but now, they get along well. I would say if youre looking to get a watchman, maybe try sinking food (mine loves it), and with a bi-colored, get a clip and some blue and green algae. When brown algae starts growing on my powerheads or on the back of the tank, i find spots where he has eaten it away. Never had any problems with either jumping, because I have a wooden hood on mine. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:35 PM   #18

Drummer, I absolutely love the yellow watchmans. Awesome looking fish.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks mike! i happen to like that fish quite a lot as well! ^_^

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com