Goby's...can I get one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I would like to add my 4th and last fish to my 30 gal. reef soon. I wanted a blenny but I hear they should be in an established tank and I plan to upgrade in about 6 months.

How about Goby's like this... http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=221

There are a few kinds I really like. What are peoples experiences and advice with them? I see that most can live in a 30 gal. but are they like Blennys as far as needing an established tank of 6+ months?

I have had nothing but good experience with mine. They have a wonderful personality. Here is mine. Mine is a good sifter even though they are not known for that.

img_718001_0_b67b197898d9fa49a1b77917942f890a.jpg

img_718001_1_cf02e7b6724492f14d654b6cddbd579a.jpg

But Mel are these ok in a tank that is not matured such as a blenny needs?

I highly recommend these little guys: http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=164&N=0

I have had nothing but success with Rainford Gobies, and in my experience, have been one of the hardiest species available.

A Rainford was the first inhabitant of my second nanotank.
He went in the first week after I set up the tank and he's been healthy and happy for 5 months now.
He even survived a "chemical accident" that took-out most of his tankmates.
(I forgot to wash my hands before sticking them in his tank and must have contaminated the water with some testing solutions.
Rough way to learn my lesson...)

I've been thru a few other goby species and some blennies with no luck, but so far all 3 of my Rainfords and my Diamond goby have all done wonderfully.

Gobys

Thanks for the advice. I really don't like the look of the one in the link. It is nice, but I like the ones with the shape of the Diamond. It is to nad the Diamond needs a 50 becuase I like them alot.

IME, most gobies are hardy. You should be fine.

I had a diamond goby in my 29G and he was thriving even though the tank was only 2 or 3 months old when I had him. He had to go back to the LFS though, b/c he was sifting TOO much.

I would say you would be OK Mike as Liveaquaria says that they are easy to take care of. It also states they are shrimp gobies but mine sifts all day so I cant guantee the sifting aspect.

I say go for the shrimp goby and pair it with a pistol shrimp. It is one of the coolest symbiotic relationships to observe.

Hmm. I will have to think about this. That sounds awesome Lando but I feel like I am pushing the stocking limits as it is because of the Reef.

Remeber, inverts don't count toward your boiload. I am also looking at a goby/pistol in my tank.

Goby successes can vary. If you don't have well established tank and the fish is picky and won't eat frozen or flake food it will starve. It sifts the sand looking for food and scraps. If the sand is too new or too clean then the goby will have a hard time finding food. IMO

hello mike469 I'm new to this site but I've been keeping reef's for about 5 years now you were wondering about putting a goby in a new tank.I would say that if your current tank is established when you upgrade use as much water and rocks as possible in your new tank. the idea is to build your bacterial colonies to establish your new tank.with enough old in the new and maybe a week or two you should be fine. but watch those gobies, I've had a bunch jump out of the tank on me

I decided I may just want to wait until I upgrade for these little guys. I am now thinking about a six line wrasse. I probably have to start another thread for that one!

Hmm. I will have to think about this. That sounds awesome Lando but I feel like I am pushing the stocking limits as it is because of the Reef.
I do not think it will be an issue Mike. With 50lbs of LR, I would say four small fish are just fine, provided your NO3 readings are okay now. As mentioned, inverts do not really count toward your bioload. Like I said, the shrimp goby/pistol shrimp relationship is amazing. IMHO, it rivals the relationship of the anemone and clown. Pistol shrimp are phenomenal diggers, they use their large claw and bull-doze out the sand from under the rocks. However, they have very poor eye-sight. They dig a hole and share it with the goby. In return the goby protects the shrimp and their den. Whenever the pistol is out of the den it keeps one antenna on the goby at all times. If it can not feel the goby it shoots back into the hole like a lighting strike. Very Cool. I have some very poor pics of my pair in my gallery if you are interested.

the shrimp goby/pistol shrimp relationship is amazing. IMHO, it rivals the relationship of the anemone and clown.
Just two weeks ago I bought a tiger pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby. This is the most amazing duo I can imagine in any aquarium! The bulldozer never stops, and the watchman is so, well, watchful!! I HIGHLY recommend this pair for your set-up. As said above, the shrimp doesn't count for bioload, and the yellow watchman is very small compared to most fishies!

I've had several gobies in my 20 gallon long, if I recall all of them jumped to their doom. I think 2 of them made it through the eggcrate I have over the tank. I've since given up on gobies even though I'd love to get another one.

What I did was wait until my tank had been set up with LR and sand for about a month, then i put in my cleanup crew for a week or so. I then added a damsel and a yellow watchman goby. both have flourished. The watchman is very cool! I recently (after the goby was in for a couple of weeks) added a bi-colored blenny to the tank as well, and for about a day they were very uneasy with eachother, but now, they get along well. I would say if youre looking to get a watchman, maybe try sinking food (mine loves it), and with a bi-colored, get a clip and some blue and green algae. When brown algae starts growing on my powerheads or on the back of the tank, i find spots where he has eaten it away. Never had any problems with either jumping, because I have a wooden hood on mine. Good luck!

Drummer, I absolutely love the yellow watchmans. Awesome looking fish.

thanks mike! i happen to like that fish quite a lot as well! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom