going away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi , Im going away for a couple of weeks. My friend is going to house sit for me . Now he dosnt know anything about reef tanks . So i just want to give him the basics to get by and hope he shows up every day to feed my fish . Is there anything i can do before i leave to help the chances of success for him. thanks

Remind him to top off the tank with fresh water, make sure he feeds while the lights are on , fish dont eat at night.

1) have some SW mixed in case of emergency
2) Have the food seperated out into individual feeding
3) Make sure they know the number of fish you have and count them daily
4) Have your RO/DI water clearly marked from your stored SW
5) Clean the tank/water change, a few days before you go, don't do it the day before give it a chance to stabalize and make sure all equip is running before you leave.
6) Show them how to work the computer, how to log into this site and where to post any questions!!!!

Definately pay him something for this service. Have a step by step procedure of what to do daily. Would probably do a WC before you leave so this way he does not have to worry about it. Try and make it as easy for him as possible. Perhaps show him what you need to do daily and have him do it for you a couple times with you present. Leave a number for him to contact you in case of an emergency (and define emergency too in this case) and have another local reefers number avaible if at all possible.

Thanks , Good tips everyone . He can not call me . But im going to set AA as my home page and tell him to ask you guys . if need be .

Back
Top Bottom