Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

good point. Doesn't need to be automated, but gravity or pump fed sure would help the old back!

Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113164

Available up to 100' and you can buy extentions - it connects to any faucet and drains there, I would not know what to do without it!

Old 03-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

sounds complicated, actually my tank is about 10 steps from the kitchen sink 20 if you're doing the two handed 5 gallon bucket waddle

but on the flip side, i have to vacuum the detritus that my crabs and snails didn't get off my rock and corals anyway, plus i feel it's kind of therapeutic doing a water change at 1 am anyway... i prefer doing that part manually... in the mean time in my $15.99 30 gallon trash can from home depot, new saltwater has been percolating and heating with the help of a heater and a rio 2100... hook up some 3/4 id pipe to that same rio and just pump it back into the sump ...sure i have to hold it on there by hand because it's not an exact fit with the pipe fitting .... but in two minutes i've pumped into the sump what i've taken out by bucket and siphon...

i've even rubberbanded some "turkey netting" (large mesh netting) to ensure i get detritus and large pieces of nori and left over shrimp bits, but no snails, crabs or egads 8O fish...

which i foresee as the main problem with any auto changing setup... but hey if u can afford the losses go for it...
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

NOT ALL CRABS ARE BAD
rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I just change out 10 gallons once or twice a week also the old fashion way. You just get used to doing it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use my rio return pump from my sump to pump out 7-10 gal. Then the ph in the mixer to pump it back in to the sump. No animals get stuck in the pump on either side.

I still vacuum the crushed coral every few weeks and do it the old fashioned way. nothing wrong with it. but there are certainly ways to save time when you are trying to take care of a couple of tanks.

Quote:
hook up some 3/4 id pipe to that same rio and just pump it back into the sump ...sure i have to hold it on there by hand because it's not an exact fit with the pipe fitting
Try some clear tubing and a stainless hose clamp!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 450g tank. I have been doing 10% changes so far but I now have a container that can hold about 90 gallons. I will have my RO/DI adding water to the storage container. I guess I am lucky - I have a slop sink in my basement (where the tank is) only about 20 feet from the tank. I us a python to siphon out the old and use a Mag pump to reverse the process to add the new water.

I think that auto systems would be great, however, they don't clean your substrate for you...true?

Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com